Tags:
  1. Travism99

Travism99 New Member

Hello people

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Travism99, Mar 15, 2011.

I found this lovely site while doing a search for writing help. My name is...you guessed it, Travis. I been trying to write for years now, published once while in High School in a rag mag called 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Monthly' for a bit of a short story called 'A Ship to Nowhere'. 'Fifteen pages of amature indulgent nonsense' was the direct quote according to reviews by readers but hey, I was sixteen and they gave me fifty dollar and published me so those review writers can shut it.
    I am now thirty years old and attempting to write my first actual book, a Dark Urban Fantasy Novel I've titled 'The Faerie Flag' (for the moment). But like so many I feel I am only a writer when I write and seems a rather large and immovable writer's block has fallen from the ether between creativity and crushed my poor muse to death...All those feathers...so sad. Anyway I have been trying to revive her with ample application of creative CRP by writing copious amounts of bad short stories and book ideas which has been good and bad. Now I have alot of stories that all have grounds of good books and they are all battling to be the first fully written and given to my beginner editor (Read wife).
    So hopefully chatting with you lot and writing will revive my muse to her proper stature of awesomeness before my wife gets too upset waitting for Chapter Seven and beats me to death with my netbook or stabs me with my fountain pens. Wish me luck?

-T

2. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Hi, nice ta meet 'cha. I hope you can get past the writing block, and maybe even post some of it here, I'd like to see it. I have several projects I'm blocked on too. It's frustrating.

3. Travism99

Travism99 New Member

A pleasure mate, and it most certainly is frustrating. I imagine it along the same lines of the worst enemy of the writer which needs to be beaten senseless with the bad writing until dead. Anyway I'll see if I can't post something for you all at some point. Thanks for the greeting.

-T

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Travis, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Writing Workshop before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Writing Workshop, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Writing Workshop, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Writing Workshop forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Writing Workshop forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Faust

Faust Active Member

Welcome, writer's block can be a toughie, and not everything works for everyone, good luck with your muse! If you ever need to chat, I'll be around.

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.