1. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

The Doctor Is In

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dr. Doctor, Feb 2, 2009.

I might not actually be a doctor, but what I am is glad to finally have a place to write and share my writing, which I have long thought about, but never actually typed into Google and clicked the first response.

My name is Larry Griffin, and I write music reviews for www.metalcrypt.com. I have loved writing ever since I first got into middle school almost eight years ago, and doing stories has been a hobby of mine ever since. I like music, most notably Heavy Metal, and I like taking walks and working out and all that good stuff. I enjoy film a lot, too, and I have an account on IMDb with a host of reviews there as well. I get my inspiration on the fly and I am to write things that are both meaningful and entertaining.

Some of the stuff I would like to improve on in the future include humor and the general exciting factor. I'm currently exercising my creative skills with some shorter stories that take less time, but I do longer works as well.

So, having read the rules and skimmed the forums a bit, I look forward to reading your stories and talking in the next few days. Have a good evening.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Larry, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Any connection to Major Major?

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Jack

Jack New Member

Hey Dr. Doctor! Welcome to the WF!

I love humor! It makes me laugh and it reduces stress. I can't wait to read/review some of your stories. :)

Nice to meet you
    - Jack

4. Aristocrazy

Aristocrazy New Member

Dr. Doctor, gimme the news (stories), I gotta bad case of wantin to review you!

5. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I like humor too. Everyone should like humor.

But my stuff usually ranges through all genres. I am working on a novel called Play or Die: about a game show in which the contestants die if they lose.

Thanks for the welcomes.

6. laciemn

laciemn New Member

I, too, enjoy humor. I LOVE writing humor, it's so fun! I can tell you if you're funny or not, also. Before you start writing, however, I'll tell you a few things that aren't funny, at least in literature.
    1. Balls
    2. Farts
    3. Period/tampon references
    4. Male-pregnancy

Just my opinion. Anyway, cheers! I hope you have a long, happy stay here and find many helpful threads and possibly post something worth reading :p. No pressure or anything though, I suck too.

7. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Oh believe me, as someone who just got done watching Step Brothers a few days ago, I can say that I would never do any of that.