1. Saxonvoter

Saxonvoter New Member

Greetings from Finland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Saxonvoter, Mar 28, 2016.

I'm a 21-year-old aspiring writer from Finland. I'm a first year student of English language, but I'm applying to change my major to Literature this spring, because from the start I've found the current subject of my studies to be kinda boring. We've had some courses that dealt with literature, and I've enjoyed those way more than most other courses, which is what made me want to change my major. I was more interested in literature to begin with, and only chose English because I wanted to study in English. However, right now I'm just content to have English language as one of my minors.

My writing career, as one might call it, started around age 13 with text-based Role Playing Games on forums such as this one, and then few years later in secondary school I found fan fiction. I've been an avid reader of all kinds of fanfiction ever since, and currently have many ongoing fan fiction projects of epic proportions. I started out writing in Finnish (RPG's), but as I started reading fan fiction and books in English, it stuck me as a better language to reach a wider audience. I've been writing mainly in English for about five years now.

I've also dabbled in comics, and my current original writing project is slightly based on one of my old comic ideas, although it has changed a lot since the beginning. To be honest, it's not even recognisably the same story anymore. It's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. Here's a link to a thread where I explain about the idea more.

I joined this forum to find some peers who struggle with the same problems as I do. I've been working on the plot of my original story for a few years now, but I've been unable to narrow down certain specifics (such as character names and genders, and some specific details of the story's world history) that would allow me to actually start writing the story. Admittedly, I've also lacked the time to really work on my project.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Tervetuloa, Saxonvoter! :bigcool:

Sorry your intro post got caught in the spamfilter. You're brand new and there was a link it, so the forum's A.I. snagged it for review. Anywho, I released it. :agreed:

Make sure to read the Forum Rules for highlights of the dos and don'ts.

I responded to your thread yesterday concerning the idea you have in mind. As I mentioned therein, there is a realm where spaceships meet dragons called Science Fantasy, so I don't think you actually need to chose between Science Fiction or Fantasy. You can have both. I would suggest at least having a look at some of the examples I gave in that post as to how other successful writers have tread this interzone between the genres. :bigwink:

Wrey

3. Saxonvoter

Saxonvoter New Member

Hi Wrey! I didn't realise the link would cause that but thanks for releasing my post. :D

I did have a look at those examples, thank you! I was aware there was such a thing as a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, but I'm not sure if I would be able to integrate my ideas well enough to succeed in that genre (as most of my fantasy ideas are really out there compared to the scifi elements of the story), hence my hesitation. However, I'll take a closer look at those examples and I'll have think about it a little more. I know that Star Wars kind of belongs to the scifi-fantasy category as well, and I really enjoy that series, so I'm not completely against the idea.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

BTW, I would also add the Gaea Trilogy by John Varley to that list. You don't actually need to read all these books, obviously, but checking out their reviews and wiki summaries will give you an idea of the broader handling of the storyline. In this series the way the two genres are bridged is that the story takes place in a living sentient Stanford Torus that parks itself close to Jupiter. This living creature/environment takes great pleasure in following human transmission of the entertainment sort. TV, movies, etc. She (it's a she) is able to control and guide the evolution of life within her environment and that life is quite fantastic indeed given all the Hollywood stuff she's been watching. Humans come, interact, story happens. :)

Saxonvoter likes this.
  5. Sileas

Sileas Member

Finland, Finland, Finland!
    The country where I want to be!
    Eating breakfast or dinner,
    Or a snack lunch in the hall----

I'll come in again.

Alan Aspie and Saxonvoter like this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Tervetuloa! :D