1. TodgeWatherly

TodgeWatherly New Member

So I'm New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TodgeWatherly, Jul 19, 2010.

Introductions are difficult, and I'm pretty sure that saying so is a cliche. I'm Todge Watherly. That is unfortunately not my given name, but rather it is a character's name I made up for a story that died while I was still in high school.

So I love writing. I want to write something that's Christian/comedy/fantasy/fairy tale because I think that innovation is always a good thing and that Christian fiction could use some--what genre couldn't, really?

I have difficulty in keeping myself on a strict schedule with my writing so I'm hoping that maybe this forum can help me out with that. If not, it gives me a chance to meet some virtual people with whom I can have virtual conversations and have a virtual good time.

In sum: I'm Todge Watherly. Pleased to meet you.

Now who are you?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hi there! I'm Mallory and I write mainly horror and dystopia, and some short satire here and there. Good to meet you.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Todge. I'm minstrel, I play guitar and sing. When I'm not doing that, I write. Mostly science fiction these days, but I have a broad range of interests.

4. TodgeWatherly

TodgeWatherly New Member

nice to meet you as well!

5. Shinn

Shinn Banned

G'day Todge and welcome :)

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Aha, welcome TodgeWatherly. :)

7. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

Hello! I am me (most of the time)

I write humor/humour - yes, both of them!

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Todge, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

You say it's unfortunate that's not your actual given name, but I think it might have been a difficult one to wear through grade school. School kids form packs, like jackals, and they are not very tolerant toward anything unusual.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

9. Donal

Donal New Member

Hi Todge, looking forward to reading some of your comedy fantasy Christian material :)

10. write2breathe

write2breathe New Member

Hi Todge...welcome to the forum.

I'm Bree, I am attempting to write a Christianity based fantasy novel...but keep it interesting and vague enough that the secular population will enjoy it too (and maybe make them think a little in the process)

Nice to have you on the boards.

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

12. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi Todge and welcome