1. HelloThere

HelloThere Contributing Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Hello There's Night of the Living Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by HelloThere, Apr 9, 2015.

A bit stuck with a story I'm developing at the back of my mind, I think I need to get my thoughts down to shed light on what I need to do.

Had a set of characters developing in the back of my mind for a long while now, I've recently started to get a good idea of what I want to happen with them and what I want to happen in their story. However, one thing that seems to be stopping the story really getting into full flow, my antagonist. The main decision I have to make is whether I explain the fantastical elements of the story with pseudo-science or with magic. If I go down the magic route it's all very simple, my antagonist can just feed off sorrow or baby's souls or something like that and it's all well and good. I'd rather go down a more scientific route though, I think it's more interesting, and also I'd quite like to validate the hours spent trawling through incredibly obscure wikipedia articles.

Currently I'm using a fair bit of hand waving to explain this bad guy; it's some sort of being from an alternate dimension that has crossed into our reality and become shattered into many pieces in the process. Unable to exist in a stable condition in this dimension it implants itself into the minds of several regular joes, existing as electrical signals in their neurons, and from this point it begins to try and piece itself together by manipulating the actions of the people it has inhabited - bringing them together so it can be whole. My problem is though, that at this point there doesn't seem to be any real reason for this being to act "evilly" - I could perhaps explain that it needs to kill it's hosts in order to join all its pieces together, but that seems contrived and unnecessary.

So I'm stuck, at the last piece of the puzzle really, so close but yet so far.