1. thabear637

thabear637 New Member

Am I crazy? or should i go full steam?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thabear637, Sep 9, 2008.

Hello,
    I've never been much into english, or writing. Not until recently anyways.

I'm a somewhat recent college grad, majoring in marketing. I have just taken a new job in which a LOT of travel is involved, and I have found myself with a lot of free time in the hotel with just me and a lap top.

I have always enjoyed reading novels and watching movies...but recently I have thought of a few cool ideas for stories. I already started on one of them, and I wrote about 20 pages worth so far.

However, I have just thought of a different story, one in which I like the idea of the plot a lot better and I feel more comfortable writing in this genre (the first book was of a fantasy type genre, the second is more of a general fiction).

I know (well...reasonably sure anyways lol) I would never become a well known author of any type due to no writing courses, experience, etc. However, I just think it would be fun to write ideas for a story and write it all out..and eventually get it printed. Even if only my wife is the only one to read it I think it would be fun.

However I do think it would be more fun to be able to write enough that it got out to other people to read.

Am I out of my mind thinking I could do something like this? you can be honest you won't hurt my feelings :)

And by the way since this is the new member introductions:
    My name is Jeremy, and I may be checking these forums periodically with questions (and who knows if i get the hang of this maybe some answers too!!) and look forward to chatting with everyone!

(p.s. any tips would also be appreciated)
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Jeremy, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

This site is here so you can explore your writing, see whether it really is something you want to pursue, and to give you the opportunity to work with others to improve your craft.

But posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. penhobby

penhobby New Member

No you're not crazy...you've just caught that little writing bug that we all so love and at times hate. Now is this a long-term bite or a just a short fever of need to express yourself? Only time will tell, but in the mean time welcome to the forum Jeremy. --Pen

4. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

5. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

Hey Jeremy, welcome to WF.

And no, you're not crazy. By all means, continue writing and developing stories. It's a great activity for your free time.

P.S. I just started college, but I intend to major in marketing. :)

6. Kylie

Kylie New Member

Welcome to Writing Forums, Jeremy! :D

You're definitely not crazy. Like afterburner said, keep writing. The more you write the more you improve! Whatever happens with what you write, whatever you end up doing with it ...it doesn't matter that you don't know the answers to those questions right now. Just keep writing and see what happens :).

7. ciavyn

ciavyn New Member

Welcome! Check out the backgrounds of some of your favorite authors - I bet you'll find that few of them had a lot of experience in writing! So don't sell yourself short!

Good luck!

8. Anthony James Barnett

Anthony James Barnett New Member

Welcome aboard.

Anthony