1. ErinG

ErinG New Member

Hi! Writing in the UK.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ErinG, Mar 8, 2015.

Hi everyone! I'm Erin, 32, mother of four, poverty stricken American in the UK. I've enjoyed reading and writing from a young age and have been putting ideas to paper for a few years now, with nothing sticking, until now.

I'm working on a story, I am to scared to call it anything else just now! I'm enjoying creating the characters and fleshing out plot lines, but it's starting to take on a life of its own, and while thats exciting, it's a bit scary, exactly what kind of monster am I creating? I've never taken any sort of writing class and I really don't know any of the "rules", per se. So, I'm kind of just feeling my way along in the dark.

Right now I'm engaging in a lot of heavy research, and will probably start reaching out to field experts to verify my understanding of certain theories, studies, etc as most of my google research leads to fascinating work, full of a lot of 3 syllable industry specific terms that can be a tough to puzzle out at 4am.

I'm also trying to work on my character development. I tend to get the ideas out quite quickly, but theres not much substance behind it, so I'm working on creating detail and making my characters real, I suppose.

Then there is the whole issue of publishing. lol Thats even scarier than the writing itself, I think!

Well, I look forward to hopefully making some new friends and learning an awful lot.

Thanks for having me!

Erin

2. KaitysDad

KaitysDad Member

Sounds like you are putting a lot of work and effort into your story. Don't give up.

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Hey and welcome to the forum!

Here's a link to our New Member Guide to get you started with things like the forum rules and layout.

Good luck with your research and have fun!

4. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Hi Erin, welcome :)

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.