1. Conall

Conall New Member

A wee hullo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Conall, May 24, 2008.

Hi there, I'm Conall and a writer from the wee scots toon o' Edinburgh. I write mainly short prose fiction but at the moment I'm working on a cyberpunk novel. I'm hoping you guys might be able to inspire me and to give me a kick in the backside to keep writing when I need it.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Heyo Conall and welcome to the site. Hope you have a really wonderful time here with all of us and look forward to seeing you around the site. I haven't read cyberpunk before tbh, I am a horror fanatic, but there are plenty of members here who'll be sure to know about cyberpunk :)

I'm good at stompin feet if that helps? :p

Tori

3. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey there :) Welcome to WF.org.

4. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

5. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome from a big cyberpunk fan.

6. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Hey, im new here too! Cyberpunk, never heard that term. Sounds interesting, mind telling me what it is?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Connall, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Hopefully we can help with the inpiration side. Any good community can do that. Motivation, though, will have to spring from within.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

8. Conall

Conall New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've been on writing sites before and I do agree that reviewing and critting are a staple of any writers life.

Cyberpunk is a sub-genre of Science Fiction. Definitions tend to vary from people to people but generally it takes place in a society that has high levels of technology and industry. Usually it portrays a distopian society on the edge of breaking down and focuses on characters from the lower end of life. Just think of movies like, Bladerunner, Akira, Ghost In The Shell, or The Matrix.