1. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

Greetings from Chickidy.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickidy, Jun 23, 2008.

Hello, I'm not new in the terms of time, but I am new in the sense that just recently have I become active. I am a good writer, at least thats what my teachers and friends tell me, and I have no reason to distrust them, though I know I have many things to work on. Things like showing rather than telling, as well as the entire process of writing, editing and rewriting and all of that. Mostly I write of impulse, when it feels right, my hands seem to dance across the keyboard, but of course that leaves errors and odd words here and there, I could do with more editing and such. My favorite writer is Stephen King, his great works such as The Shining, butchered in theaters unfortunately, and The Stand, amazing in all aspects of the word, as well as such creative and original pieces like From a Buick 8, with so many new ideas that really showed off Mr. Kings ability to come up with better concepts and ideas than anybody else, have bought me over. Though not necessarily scared by his works, though The Shining did make me **** my pants at parts, his originality and the sheer number of his ideas, as well as his ability to make one feel so many emotions, is really quite outstanding.

Writing is a hobby, and though I would love nothing more than to write professionally some day, I'm gunning for lawyer as is, maybe if I can get enough cash together I'll be able to retire early enough to do some real writing, or maybe I can do that in my free time, all I know is I see law school in the future. I am Catholic and take my faith very seriously, and take religious insults, as well as insults to organized religion very personally, disrespect for other human beings based on that is revolting to me. I like to think of myself as a conservative, but not a Republican, more independent than anything else. I see the value of both spectrum, though more so on the right. I enjoy these forums so far and look forward to many years of it to come.

Some other interests of mine are hunting and fishing, outdoor sportsmanship is a huge part of my life, to be out there in the midst of the beauty of nature, among such majestic creatures, pitting your intelligence against their instinct is not only exciting but, humbling at the same time. It is unlike anything else and I greatly suggest that everyone try it at one time or another, the rush of it all is astonishing. I enjoy Mexico quite a lot, I went to Cancun for the second time a short while ago and had a blast, Dos Equies Double X lager, as well as an extremely well stocked mini bar, not to mention the numerous Cigar shops and the hot tub, made for one hell of a trip. Thats another thing I suggest everyone to try once, Cancun. The streets are paved with bars and sexy women, whats not to like I ask? Downtown maybe, but the tourist section is wonderful.

Well thats all I can think of to write at the moment, so Writingforums, this is Chickidy saying hello!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Chickidy, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Marloy

Marloy New Member

I like Stephen King too, though I haven't always been so interested in his works. When I was younger I thought he was Satan, but now I think of him as a great visionary.

I'm glad that you are hoping to write for a living and good luck with law!

Welcome (though you've been here a bit) and hope to see ya 'round! :D

4. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Hi there!
    Hope to see you posting a bit more now. :)

5. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

6. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

Hi Chickidy :) Welcome!

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome.

8. Salinye

Salinye New Member

Chikidy, Chikidy, Bo Bickidy.

Banana Fana Fo fickidy.

Me Mi Mo Mickidy.

Chickidy!!

Welcome to the forum even though I think I'm far newer than you. It's been fun spinning a tale with you even though my character abhors Yours! :p

~Salinye