1. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

Hello~

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by feathersinflight, Jul 6, 2014.

I'm feathersinflight, and I found this rather late... ^.^'

I finally mustered up my courage to sign up for one of these writing forums, and I'm so glad I got to do so! The people here are so knowledgeable about writing- it's really invigorating for a novice like me! I hope to see more of other people's work and learn from them, as well as contribute to this community further :D

2. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile New Member

Hi! Sounds like you joined for similar reasons I did! Writing anything in particular at the moment?

3. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

I'm working on 5 different fantasy plots that are interrelated but still are their own separate stories...well, except for the 5th one. I don't know where I'm going with that so I think I'll just incorporate it into one of the other stories.

And what about you? Are you writing anything?

4. NanashiNoProfile

I'm writing a fantasy story right now. I've been spending a lot of time making the world cohesive, fleshing out the story skeleton and inventing new types of bad guys (because I didn't want to go with something familiar). I'm currently writing my ninth chapter and I seem to have made 9 smaller chapters out of what was originally supposed to be four - for the better I think!

5 different plots? That's impressive, I like the idea of having one place with lots of interlinking stories (I'm hoping to do that with my world, but I've just got some basic notes for different stories, I've become all consumed by my current work :D )

Are they long stories, short?

5. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

One of them is mid-range, but simple and goes in a "Gulliver's Travels" kind of story line. It has a sister story which I have designed the synopsis for, but haven't gone much farther on because I just looked at the previous synopsis and tore it down. I think this will also be mid-range in length. For the other two stories, one is just a massive overarching, encapsulating arc to the other (but I like to say they're two stories because there's such a massive time skip between the two). This story, if I decide to fully combine them, will be ultra-long, especially if I have to describe both of their characters and conflicts. Eh...the fifth one? I don't know if I'm even keeping that one...might as well subsume it into that ultra-long story, because I don't have much of a story planned out for that.

I'm sorry to say that as far as actual writing goes, I haven't gone very far. One of the plots for the ultra-long has been stewing around for 3 years, because the plot has evolved so much from being trite and cliche to (what I hope) is more symbolic and thematic. The other plots have been stewing for one-two years, but because I was so busy tearing down the first I didn't focus on them too much. I made basic plots for all of them and tore them down as well. I feel happy with what I've got now- the Gulliver's Travels one is all planned out, and a lot of the first major arc of the ultra-long is also planned out. I'm struggling with the beginning, but ever since I joined, a lot of ideas have been flowing~ The other plots haven't changed too much, but I still need to flesh them out.

...Yeah, I haven't gotten very far with any one of the stories. When I get exasperated/frustrated with one, I usually switch to one of the others...

6. NanashiNoProfile

I dunno, that sounds pretty good! I know some people seem to be able to write quickly, I am not one of those people. Aside from work, I just don't want to jump into something until I can think over it and not feel like it is embarrassing. For that very reason, it took me 6 months to write my first chapter as I didn't want to ruin what I had done. I came up with the idea on Christmas Day while playing Minecraft of all things, so you can probably guess I've not been properly writing the thing for long. That said, now I've written a prologue and 9 chapters, it is starting to come easier, and I'm always looking for a time to write (I have something like 180 note files on my phone with things I want to get into it now, just from trying to write on the train to work).

When you say Gulliver's Travels-like, is that taken to mean a journey across strange and unknown lands?

7. purplehershey

purplehershey New Member

Hey guys! I'm pretty new too. Seems like I'm writing something a bit different from both of you considering my novel in the works is a contemporary YA fiction piece. I do respect those that can write fantasy though, something I know I'd never been able to do. Good luck :)

NanashiNoProfile likes this.
  8. NanashiNoProfile

Thanks, good luck with your novel too!

9. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

@NanashiNo- Yep, basically!

@purplehershey- Wow, that seems interesting! I'm a fantasy person through and through, so it's interesting to find people writing in different genres. What is your story about?

10. purplehershey

purplehershey New Member

The narrator is a young man, Charlie, 23 years old, he's in front of this audience and he goes on to tell them he's going to tell them the greatest love story of all time. The chapters are split up into specific memories of their life and then further split up into alternating points of view where Charlie is talking to the audience and a 3rd person narrator that kind of flashbacks to the memories.

Essentially, you go through the novel falling in love with this family only to realize at the end, Charlie is speaking their funeral. It's uplifting in an depressing way, if that makes sense...

11. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

Ooh! I think I saw this somewhere! *Goes to look at other threads*

A few minutes later: Maybe not...

12. purplehershey

purplehershey New Member

haha no you have. I posted to make sure the plot was do-able and was reassured that it was, so I'm continuing on with it.

How far are you in your story?

13. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

Uh...not very...I had the conception for my main plot since 7th grade, but I changed it so many times because it sounded really fake and trite. I think I'm going with the plot I have now, but I've been having a lot of trouble starting it. That's why I posted a thread on it :D I'm a very structured person, so I planned a lot of it out- I guess you could say that I have a fear of actually writing it out because I'm scared that it's not going to turn out the way I want it to. But since I've joined this forum, I've seen a lot of people like me who are reassured that practice makes perfect. So I'm forging ahead >:D

Oh, you've replied to my thread so you know a lot of this "^.^

14. purplehershey

purplehershey New Member

haha yeah...I answered that other thread actually. Those people are right. My first draft was complete awfulness but it got my ideas out and on paper and it's SUCH a relief.

15. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

O.O I did see your thread. It was one of the first ones I saw but I was too nervous in my novice-osity to post on it. It sounds really interesting! I love subplots and recollection stories :D

16. purplehershey

purplehershey New Member

haha novice-osity, I like that. Yeah, it seems like subplots are down your ally considering you have five going on at once!