1. tempestuous

tempestuous New Member

I'm never going to finish my novel! ;)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tempestuous, Aug 21, 2014.

Hi, I'm Holly. I live in the Pacific Northwest - way out in the boonies - and am rather hermit-like by circumstance as well as choice. I am part of a very literary family and have been writing since I was six or seven. Since I was about 11 or 12, my greatest ambition was to write books...and I still have that dream. :) However, I am a married mom of two preschool age children and I have a full-time job. I'm also going to college full-time in a mad dash to complete my BA in English, so it gets pretty crazy at times!

I'm in the process of writing my first novel (two chapters in) and have unfortunately encountered that most difficult of obstacles, writer's block. I went looking for resources that might help and I found this site. Wow! What a great resource! I'm hoping that by connecting with other writers, I can get past this block and also enjoy the writing of others, as well as help when and where I can!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum! :)

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. I sure hope this place helps you to get inspired again. You're definitely not the only one who's had the Block. If you feel stuck with your novel manuscript, you can try out our writing prompts, role play, or contests to get your creative wheels turning again. :)

See you around!

-Kat

3. Joe_

Joe_ Member

Hi. I just registered here a few minutes ago. I have been working on my novel since 2009 with a lot of long breaks. I am committed to it now and plan to have the story on paper by the end of the year. I am about 2/3 there. I recently read on someone's blog a piece about finishing a novel. What really stayed with me is this. "The only thing worst than a page of bad writing is a page with no writing."

That inspired me to just jump in and go for it. I can make it better latter if need be but I need to just get it on paper for now.

Komposten likes this.
  4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome @Joe_. I'm currently in the editing stage, getting feedback from a few trusted friends. Planning is great, but you know that old line about life and plans - so my advice is to always be flexible in your planning. In my twenty-some years of part time efforts to get to a publishable novel, there have been many times when life had the nerve to knock me off track, and I only had time for small snippets of writing or research. And yet those snippets, many late at night when everyone else was asleep, were what got me through the most difficult times.

Best of luck.

Joe_ likes this.