1. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

Hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scrib, Jul 14, 2015.

I thought it was about time I said 'hello!'

I signed up here a while back, but didn't read or contribute much at the time. I didn't come back much either. I've decided this evening that I really need to find and be part of a good writing community, and what better place to get on with it than here?

I live in Berlin, but I'm originally from England. While my German's pretty fluent, I prefer writing (and reading) in English.

While I'm introducing myself perhaps I can ask a question? When keeping track of your progress do you all measure it in words? I'm only asking because there's something about word counts that I find almost phoney. I hope that makes sense, I'd love to hear of other ways of keeping tally on daily progress.

Anyway, Hi!

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. About the only thing we keep track of is critiques. You'll see in the forum rules everything you need.

3. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

rules... uh-oh... critiques... erm... alright. :whistle:

Thanks for the welcome :bigcool:

4. SydneyHarbour

SydneyHarbour New Member

Guten Tag! Ich heisse Sydney :) Wilkommen!
    Tut mir leid, ich studiere Deutsch und ich nehme immer die Möglichkeit zu lernen.

Personally, I track my progress via word count because I often don't have much time to write. However, that certainly doesn't mean quantity is particularly important, quality is, which is why, as the person above said, critique is so important. As the old saying goes...

5. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

Hallo Sydney, vielen Dank! Welcome to you too :)
    Dein Deutsch scheint gut zu sein, Hut ab! Aber, es gibt wenig wofür man sich in Deutschland entschuldigt, also brauchst Du dich bestimmt nicht dafür zu entschuldigen das du Deutsch studierst!

I'm not sure I'm familiar with the old saying you had in mind (when in Rome?), but you've nailed the dilemma I have with using word-counts as a measure of progress. As for critique, I have a hard enough time dealing with self-critique, but then who doesn't? I suppose one of my reasons for coming here was to lighten up on the self-critique a little...