1. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Hi! so glad this isn't filled with spam~

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Valery Faye, Jul 24, 2015.

Hello! I'm no one of consequence. Just a wandering writer looking for adventure :)

The last forum I tried was filled with spam and a crazy goblin who talked in third person and narrated his own replies... I digress.

What's everyone working on these days? :D

GingerCoffee and jannert like this.
  2. Song

Song Active Member

Song came into the thread looking to welcome the new member, smiling she offered a simple hand shake.....

Only messing with you. Welcome to the forum. I'm also pretty new to the forum, so I'm not sure if there are any crazy goblins or trolls tucked away somewhere. That said, I haven't seen any spam which is good.
    I'm working on my first book right now and about 68% into the first draft. That is when I'm not playing computer games or watching netflix. How about you, what are you working on?

jannert and Valery Faye like this.
  3. Whiplash

Whiplash New Member

I'm new here also. This community seems very legit and filled with people who genuinely aspire to refine or learn their craft and help others do the same. I haven't written seriously for a while. I started a fantasy-type, first-person narrated fiction a couple years ago but stopped working on it. The other day, I was reading some fan fiction online and become engrossed in some of the tales. I needed an escape at the time and was glad to have come across it. This made me think, "Boy, I do also like to write and if all these people are enjoying doing it... Well then, I'd like to do it again too!" So I started a new fiction, the initial premise I took from my real life. But beyond that, it is not entirely based on real events.

I'd be interested, Song, on how you determined that you are precisely "68%" into your first draft. I completed a full-length movie script about 8-9 years ago and each time I revised it, I was never sure when it was going to be actually "done." I think drafts are done when you have the feeling within you that it's done. I learned from that experience that you can endlessly revise and make new versions. And that is necessary to a point, but just found it a little humorous about the 68%, LOL. XD

That's awesome though. Even getting that far is something probably most people don't do. I've started a lot of writings that I never finished and tons of writers and authors do that. In my opinion, it's either because you hit a roadblock in the writing itself or a roadblock in real life where you stop devoting time to it. Just the other day, my new story started slowing down at the end of a chapter; I could feel the pace shift into a lower gear. That's not always bad but it happened too quickly in this instance so I need to go back and see exactly where that happened and amend it.

Well anyway, sorry for being long-winded and welcome, Valery. :)

- Whip

GingerCoffee, jannert and Valery Faye like this.
  4. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Thanks for the welcome! What's your book about?

I just finished the first draft of a novella and am currently working on short stories of similar nature. I'll probably bundle them in an anthology or something~

5. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Thanks for the welcome!

It's good to hear people getting back into writing :love: Well, people who wrote in the first place, I suppose. I'm sorry about your writers block though. Sucks, huh? I've finished maybe two novels, and only one of them is seeing the light of day. (The other was written when I was 15 and was about vampires and, yeah...)

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Valery! Welcome to the forum. :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. :) Does your potential anthology have a specific theme?

Hope to see you around!

-Kat

jannert likes this.
  7. Song

Song Active Member

It's a modern fantasy with lots of hidden meaning. I don't want to say too much until I've finished it because it takes a really different angle than most stories do. I really like world building and religion building etc. That and I like my stories to have meaning that you can go and find if you want to.

Valery Faye likes this.
  8. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Thank you!

Well, as far as the anthology.... I typically write fantasy, horror, and literary fiction, but I'm trying out this erotica thing xD It sounds kind of silly, I know, but I still value craft and character above anything else. And anyway, while the characters in this possible erotic anthology are moving through their respective journeys, I can only hope that my readers discover something new about themselves as well.

KaTrian likes this.
  9. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

That is literally the kind of fantasy I write. Not all of mine are modern, but other than that, your description pretty much mirrors my method of writing fantasy o.o I have notebooks full of world- and religion-building!

Song likes this.
  10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

That sounds interesting. :agreed:

By the way, we have an erotica subforum as well as a workshop section for erotica, so feel free to check them out! (plenty of erotica themed writing there waiting for new critiques ;))

Valery Faye likes this.
  11. PrincessSofia

PrincessSofia Active Member

I'm getting back into writing too, and I feel like this community is warm and welcoming :)

12. Whiplash

Whiplash New Member

Sounds interesting. I'd read it probably. :) I don't really have writer's block. Just at the end of the one chapter, I could see the rhythm or pace of the story slowing down. I don't want the momentum changing so quickly. ;)

13. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Believe me, you don't want to read it xD

But ahhh, it's a momentum thing. In every single first draft that I write, there's too much momentum. So much of my editing process is just slowing things down, lol.

14. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Welcome! :D From newbie to newbie lol.

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Wow. Check all the new peeps all friendly n'at. :friend:

Welcome to one and all. :supercool:

Wrey

16. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Thanks! :D

17. Whiplash

Whiplash New Member

What is the general premise of the first one you wrote? Without giving the whole thing away. Just curious.

I'm happy someone so quickly understood what I meant about the pace/momentum. I actually just added a bunch to the current chapter and it seems I don't need to be worried about what I was talking about. I think it flows nicely into the next section so I'm all good for now. :)

Thank you. :friend:

18. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Well, it was called The Academy. Now that I think of it, it was more of a boarding school.... Anyway, it was a high school that was separated into two clusters. The incoming students are to choose a cluster and are often told that they will be able to see their parents during holidays... which is a lie. They pretty much never see their families again.
    And as time passes, the gradually transform into werewolves or vampires, depending on which cluster they chose.

... I know, it's dumb. xD

19. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello new people. Welcome to the forum!

So glad you mentioned the lack of spam, @Valery Faye . You're right. It's a huge plus, and down to our ever-vigilant mods. Once in a while a spam sneaks through, but they always nail it immediately, so the rest of us can relax and enjoy the place.

Valery Faye likes this.
  20. Whiplash

Whiplash New Member

Dude, that sounds awesome to be honest! Did you say that is a completed one? How long is it? If you have it as a text document or PDF, I would love to read it! Is the "Start a conversation" feature from someone's profile page a private message? If so, would like to discuss that. I'm still learning the ins and outs of this software system. I assume there is a way to talk to users privately...?

Valery Faye likes this.
  21. Song

Song Active Member

I think it's a good idea and worth developing. Its like Divergent meets vampire diaries.

Valery Faye likes this.
  22. Valery Faye

Valery Faye Member

Haha, really? I don't know how long it is, actually. I haven't looked at it in years. But I'll definitely search for it :)

Also, I just sent you a message via the conversation thingy. xD

Oh wow, thank you ^___^
    Maybe I'll consider bringing it back to light one of these days~