1. js58

js58 Member

Pull your finger out!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by js58, Sep 11, 2015.

Hi,

I've been wanting to start writing for a long time but I never actually get around to it. I thought that joining your community might give me the kick in the backside that I need to finally get started. I haven't written anything longer or more complicated than a shopping list since I left school so I think I'll need all the help I can get!

Thanks
    JS

2. js58

js58 Member

I forgot to mention my aspirations. I'd like to write poetry, short stories (science fiction in particular), and I'd like to be able to write compelling yet informative non-fiction.

The last thing I wrote would have been an essay in one of my A-Level exams and the last creative writing I did was probably in junior school! So I think I've got my work cut out for me.

3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Welcome aboard. you have found a great place to get you motivated and inspired.

js58 likes this.
  4. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

Try writing a couple of sentences each day, then a couple of paragraphs, then a couple of pages...once you get started, you'll find that your creativity gets sparked and motivation to write builds. Just don't overwhelm yourself with large goals in the beginning. Break it down into small, manageable goals. You'll find after a while that you've written quite a bit.

Silver78, js58 and DeadMoon like this.
  5. Silver78

Silver78 New Member

I just started writing over the summer and this is exactly what I did. I agree with Christine, write as much as you can once each day, maybe about a paragraph or a page. then modify it each day and see how much you can add on to it or see what wording you can change.

js58 likes this.