1. diabolic321

diabolic321 New Member

Greetings from Lithuania! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by diabolic321, Feb 17, 2009.

Hello, people. As you probably figured out from the title, I live in Lithuania. For those who have no idea where it is (there could be a lot of people like that :)) It's on the east coast of Baltic Sea, between Latvia in the north and Poland in the south, south-west.

I'm 20 years old. Yeah, reaaaaally old. I'm studying English Philology at university and I really want to be a writer. Didn't that sound like one of those introductions at Alcoholics Anonymous? :) Yeah, thought so :). By the way, for those who have no idea what is English Philology, it's the same as English Language and Literature. Lithuanians must like their fancy titles, huh?

Anyway, as I said, I want to be a writer. That wouldn't be that strange, but the problem is that I want to write in English. I honestly like it better than my own native language. I haven't published anything yet, but I had some plot ideas.

I'm interested in the thriller genre. To tell you the truth, this goal of mine looks quite hard to succeed in, because thrillers generally have a lot of action scenes (DUH). Well, as a non-native speaker, that's my weakest point. That and punctuation. Oh, and let's not forget grammar! It's slowly getting better though :)

My favourite books are The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (not books 6 and 7 though, in my opinion those were crap) and Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I also reading Harry Potter fanfiction. Yeah, laugh. have fun at my expense. Seriously, there are some fics that are better than the original. Not many, but there are. I'm not talking about 1-5, those were okay, just 6-7. Okay, I concede, the quality of writing may not be as good, but the plot... Of course we have to keep in mind that Rowling was writing for children. Fan Fiction can be much more serious-themed.

To cut the rant on Fan Fiction and this whole introduction short, I'd like to ask you people for some recommendations for thriller books I should read. There are lots and lots of them, I don't known which ones are the best. As a smart man said once, don't read good books, read only great ones, because your lifetime won't be enough to read all the good ones.

P.S. Sorry if my language is crappy. Could you harshly rate it when compared to a native speaker? That would really help me get better... Thanks and have a good day, diabolic.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Diabolic, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. laurelin

laurelin New Member

Ah yes, who doesn't love the English language? I'm fairly fluent in one other language (French) and have attempted to learn two others in the past, but I love English more than anything else as it's so versatile :)

Welcome and have fun

4. Becky Johnson

Becky Johnson New Member

Welcome!

5. Jack

Jack New Member

Hey diabolic321! Welcome to the WF!

This is like the longest and nicest introduction that I've ever read so far!

Nice to meet you
    - Jack

6. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi from another new member. :)
    We have a lot of people from Lithuania in Ireland, nice to meet you!