1. The Actor

The Actor New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Actor, Mar 28, 2009.

Hello im James, I come from London in England :), I am training to be an actor but we are told to spread into other areas so i decided to give writing a try, the main thing that helped me was the book Your Writing Coach by Jurgen Wolff.

I am currently working on a horror novel called The Awakening, I made a website for it (which will be included in my profile) and also I have a snippet of the prologue I wrote, now I definately call myself a novice in this field so please be gentle :D

The forum looks fantastic and I think I will enjoy posting here.

2. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

Welcome and here's to a mutual enjoyment of your posts

3. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome! :)

4. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Hi there James! I like you already. :p

I'm also training to be an actor (although in all fairness I'm only at A-Level so far).

This is indeed a brilliant forum and I hope you have fun here. :)

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Hey there James...Welcome to WF, hope you connect with other writers and *ahem* actor here..:)

6. The Actor

The Actor New Member

thank you glad you enjoyed :)

thank you

oh good another actor :), and ive done a level drama before but didnt have enough to get into uni so im currently doing a btec diploma in college so we pretty much on the same level

well it seems fun so far, im going to post a small bit of my story now :)

7. The Actor

The Actor New Member

thank you neha i hope so too :p

8. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I wouldn't do that. You have to review at least two other stories before you do so. Or have you already done that?

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello James, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

10. The Actor

The Actor New Member

dont worry xeno and cogito i have reviewed two :) i saw your post on someone elses before i posted my bit of the story