1. jozie

jozie New Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jozie, Apr 11, 2009.

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm jozie (rhymes with Ozzy). I'm writing my first novel. I don't really have anything interesting to say other than that. :p

2. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Welcome to the site Jozie :)

And as for interesting... what is your novel about? :p

~Lynn

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Jozie, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. jozie

jozie New Member

Well, my novel is your typical fantasy, complete with dragons, magic and damsels in distress. :D The main character is a powerful Duchess. Beyond that, I don't want to give any spoilers. I'll be posting the first chapter (in it's rough form) soon. I've already started critiquing other people's works. I'm impressed by some of the writers I've seen already. There are some interesting stories here.

In addition to my novel, I also write poetry. I won't be posting most of my poetry simply because it's all very personal to me. I don't write poetry for others to read so much as I write it for myself. It's like a kind of therapy, although I've been told it's good.

5. seymoore999

seymoore999 New Member

Hello! I happen to be new to this forum as well and also am working on a novel but thought I'd try writing some short stories first. I hope to post one soon. I totally get writing poetry for therapy. It helps me get stuff out of my head that I don't necessarily need others to know about. I look forward to reading your post.

6. jozie

jozie New Member

Actually, I've been thinking about it. There is a poem that I think I might post. It's the only poem I've ever written intended for someone else. My gramma was recently diagnosed with cancer and is not likely to live more than two years. I wrote a poem for her, but I don't want to show it to her until I have it *perfect* (in my mind atleast lol).

I'm going to wait on posting the first chapter of the novel until I have a little more of the story fleshed out though.

I'll be on the look out for your stories, seymoore999. What is your novel about?

7. seymoore999

seymoore999 New Member

Well.... I have actually completed one novel that I hope does NOT come across as a combination of Girl, Interupted and A Clockwork Orange. It isn't very good I don't think. But lately I have been writing about a screwed up family growing up starting in World War II through the present. I would love to be able to write fantasy fiction but it just doesn't work for me. What I consider to be my best is too explicit so I won't be posting any of it.

I am sorry about your gramma. My Dad's parents both died of lung cancer within two months of each other when I was eleven and there isn't anything easy about it.

8. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi jozie, welcome! :)