1. Ahab

Ahab New Member

Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ahab, Sep 11, 2007.

Hey people!
    I live in a small and dull village in Oxfordshire. I enjoy writing, reading, drawing, art, photography, and karate.
    My favourite books are "Moby Dick" and "The Gormenghast Trilogy".
    I am completely new to using any forums of any kind, as such I don't even know basic forum terminology.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Tell me about it... The amount I've already had to explain to you... :p

Welcome aboard old friend, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. It's good to have you here, even if your face did ruin the graph for my maths coursework :p

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Ahab, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Ahab

Ahab New Member

Does this mean that I shall have to write some reviews before submitting an entry for the short story contest?

5. Banzai

No, you only have to review prior to posting your own work up for review. You can enter the contests as you please.

6. Ahab

Ahab New Member

Then I shall begin to compose my entry as soon as possible.:D
    Thankyou again for your invaluable information services.

7. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome! I hope you like it here. Don'e feel shy and bring out your rainbow!

8. Ahab

Ahab New Member

Thankye kindly

9. Ahab

Ahab New Member

How does one become a senior member? I can see that I am a junior member, how do I work my way up? Is it based on time signed up, number of posts, work submitted?

10. Banzai

That's based on posts, though I can't remember how many you need for it to change. But I know it goes Junior Member, Member and then Senior Member. To be a Reviewer you need to submit links to three (?) on site reviews you've done to Lpspider. And to be a Super Moderator you need to do a whole lot of bribing and ass-kissing :p Isn't that right, Cogito?

11. Ahab

Ahab New Member

Thanks.
    This isn't at all relevant, but I just found my pet spider, Aliss. She's been missing for a week, and she's outside on my window:)

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nah, I can't afford to bribe anyone!

I believe the member levels are 0-19 posts = Junior Member, 20-99 posts = Member, and 100+ posts = Senior Member. Reviewers and Moderators are added only as needed, based on the activity level of the site. When more are needed, the site owner takes applications into account, and then selects from the applications until the needs of the site are met.

Ahab, the Review Room is set up to require members to submit reviews before posting their own work only because it isn't a display gallery. It is a fairly intense area where writing gets dissected, scrutinized, and hammered into shape. The contests forums, on the other hand, are just for challenge and fun.

13. Ahab

Ahab New Member

Thanks for clarifying. I'll be sure to do some reviewing soon

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

hey, welcome to the forum. I'm Heather. if you need anything reviewing, want any help or just wanna chat then send a PM my way and I'll be happy to help. i hope you get the hang of the forum, it is easy to use once you know how. :)
    Heather

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that you have a wonderufl time here and you should check out the poetry and short story contests. They are run weekly so definately check them out as you prowl the halls here.
    Well have fun and see you round the boards.
    Torana