1. Yurikome

Yurikome New Member

another one!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Yurikome, Aug 11, 2007.

Hi everyone!

A newbie, huh? This time all the way from Poland. I must say I'm not that much of a writer. I certainly didn't come here to create that one big piece that would get me published and noticed heehee. I'm more of a reader, actually, and sometimes, when something is so really really good, it inspires me into writing myself. Recently it's Palahniuk, I can't help but read one of his books each day and soak in the structure, the atmosphere he builds with his minimalist approach. Oh, if anyone has any good resources on minimalism in literature I'd love to check them out.

Other than Palahniuk, I'm pretty keen on Gaiman, Pratchett, Jonathan Carroll, Koja, Winterson. Some of Koontz's works are pretty good (I'm especiallu fond of the character creation in "From the corner of his eye") but it seems he uses and reuses the same idea over again.

Some non-literature related info - female, 22, gave up on clinical psychology to attempt arts of the new media. The exams are in about two weeks and my portfolio... well, if I say "it's not half done", that's still a gentle way of putting it. But hopefully things will turn out OK (I've heard it's easy to get in, much more difficult to stay there). What else... sibling-less, partner-less, interested in many things, mostly for a short while. Lately I've been back to tarot, lenormand, cartomancy, runes for a bit, role playing online, healthy food, haikus, and now the new thing - writing short stories. For fun, obviously. To exercise the brain.

Uh... not sure what else to say, so I better wrap it up, that was a whole lot anway. So I hope to enjoy myself here and hope my company won't be too much of a nuisance ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to our forum. Please visit Noobie Packets! - Writing Forums to get further acquainted with the rules and features of the site.

Sup with the name?

3. Yurikome

Yurikome New Member

Huh, can't really remember. I think it came up at the time when a shoujo-ai MUSH went to pieces (hey, it was years ago). Yeah... that was it, yuri means lily in japanese, as well as girl on girl "action", yuriko is an actual girl name too, "daughter of the lily". And "me" at the end to connect it with the nick I used previously, for several years (meretseger). An analytical approach to name choosing, you may say :)

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

So... does that make you a lesbian? or just an admirer of the whole dojinshi scene? Not Japanese are you? I know, simply choosing a name doesn't mean anything, but it's possible. (though I'm not sure what the likelihood of that would be in Warsaw)

uh... Grom!

5. Yurikome

Yurikome New Member

Uuuuuuuuh...? Grom? :D

No, not Japanese. Not exactly lesbian either. Bisexual would probably be the best word, but I've had women hurt me so many times I'm leaning towards the boys. I know it's not a matter of choice, and just because I was hurt I can't decide to stop falling for wonderful girls should they cross my path. But I can chose to consciously work against that.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Yurikome, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, You should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to WF.org. I do hope that you have a most pleasureable time here with all of us.
    We have a few contests running at the moment and if you click on the link in my signature it will take you to the area where they are located.
    I look forward to seeing you and your work around the boards and if you would ever like a review of anything that you post simply let me know and I will be more than happy to help out.

Well enjoy your time here and I will see you around the boards.

Torana

8. Raven

Raven Banned

Welcome

~Raven.

9. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome - great to have you here! How come you get to be in Warsaw? Anyway, any questions for us let us know, we'll see what we can do!

10. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

omg its another one :D:D:D lol welcome and hope u enjoy ur stay with us

11. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome to the WF! I'm quite the opposite - not an avid reader but a writer. No wonder I often mess up. Anyways, we all have our times of inspiration. Just enjoy yourself :)