1. StJebus

StJebus New Member

Introducing myself to the forums.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StJebus, May 28, 2013.

So, I found this forum when I started searching for review and workshop writing forums recently. I was looking for something similar to zoetrope.com, except without the focus on scripts. This site seems like an active community, so I thought I would give it a shot.

As far as my own experience with writing, I am the opinion editor at my college newspaper. I moved up from being a reporter/columnist for a year. I'm also a student in college, so I'm writing on a fairly regular basis. I also have a blog at wordpress (I would link, but I'm not sure if that's kosher or not.)

Otherwise, I'm interested in improving my skill at writing fiction - I can cobble together some semblance of a plot for a short film, but my grasp of plot structure is not great.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

Welcome to the forum, StJebus! I, too, just joined, but I have a lot more rust than you.

Structure is something that I once thought that I had a handle on, but it has been far too long since I have written, so I will also be looking to improve my understanding of it all. I am not sure what has changed over the years, so I am hopeful that this forum will answer that and much more.

I do not have a blog, but once had a baseball newsletter that I (unofficially) published several years ago, if that counts. I also once wanted to be a newspaper reporter, but ended up following a different fork in the road.

Again, welcome to the forum, and the best of luck in your progression towards writing fiction.

Larry

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, StJebus, and welcome! Please read the rules, explore the site, and participate. It's good to have you here!

4. StJebus

StJebus New Member

@ Minstrel Thanks for the welcome! I did read the rules, but I didn't see anything about linking to one's own off-site work. I may have missed it, though. I'll go back and look.

@ Larry I don't want to be a reporter for a career; I don't have the ruthlessness, nor the sense of sensationalism that's really required for that. I really like writing opinion, though; I started my blog primarily because I wasn't getting enough of a writing fix as an editor. Also, thank you for the welcome, too. :)

5. Larry

Larry New Member

Under signature, it reads: Personal non-commercial sites, such as your personal blog, are allowed.

6. StJebus

StJebus New Member

Ah. Thank you. I did miss that.

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi there, welcome aboard!