Tags:
  1. ivy

ivy New Member

Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ivy, Dec 1, 2007.

My name is ivy, and as the title of this thread suggests, I pretend to like T.S. Eliot, though secretly, I don't really understand most of what he writes. Except the part where he says, "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons." I understand that. Now, Robert Frost and Billy Collins, I can really sink my teeth into. (Not literally, you know: that would be sort of...unhinged.) I also like the old romantics: Yeats, Keats, Tennyson, Shakespeare. I know that's nothing profound, or probably very interesting, and at one time that might have bothered me. Now, however, I am Of An Age where I've learned to be happy with who I am. My writing is less angsty, my life more tranquil. I love being in my late 30's.

Speaking of writing, I dabble in poetry and short stories, but my real love is novel-writing. I've completed 3 novel-length manuscripts and am working on a fourth. Of the completed ones, one has been soundly rejected; the others, I wrote just for the fun of it. OK, I'll be honest...they were fan fiction. Don't throw anything at me. Writing fan fiction taught me a great deal about the writing process. I'm always trying to improve as a writer, and welcome constructive criticism. I've done a fair bit of peer editing (or "beta reading,") and like to give constructive suggestions as well. Like most of you here (I think,) I would love to be published, but wonder if I have "what it takes."

I humbly look forward to what I can learn here.

2. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Hi Ivy, welcome to the site, I look forward to reading some of your short stories in particular :)

3. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Hey Ivy, welcome to the forums. :)

4. Anthony James Barnett

Anthony James Barnett New Member

Welcome aboard.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Ivy, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Fan fiction definitely has its place, particularly as a vehicle for developing your style. There is even a market for some of it. But it is writing with training wheels, because you begin with characters and a worldview already created for you. Furthermore, in order to publish fanfic, you cannot generally introduce major changes in that universe. That being said, I have a great respect for anyone who has completed a novel-length manuscript, much less three of them!

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. ivy

ivy New Member

Thanks, Cogito, for your open-mindedness. My original ms was the first thing I ever wrote. It was a very simple YA novel that needed some "layers" to give it substance. After that, I "backed up" and wrote the other two fanfiction pieces, working on those layers. They both included original characters, and character development was something I needed work on too.

You're right when you describe this kind of writing as writing with training wheels: it was a time for me to focus on developing one or two original characters, and doing it well, before I was ready to tackle an entire original cast. It also gave me practice with plot development, and let me coast on things like setting, history, and development of characters someone else had already created. By the time all three works were finished, my "voice" was finally developing.

One often-overlooked benefit of writing fanfiction is the immediate feedback you get as a writer. Positive reviews gave me the enthusiasm to keep writing, which is what anyone needs to do, to get better. Now, I'm working on putting it all together in a complex, original novel.

Wish me luck!

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Better than that, I hope you find the way to make your own luck.

And don't be afraid to make the Universe wobble. Give it a good kick!

8. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Hello ivy.

9. ivy

ivy New Member

**waves across New England** Thanks for dropping to say hi, Gunslinger!

10. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

**waves back across the snow covered New England**

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

hello Ivy and welcome to the most insane writing forum you could ever hope to come across :p nah just kidding. It is only us members that are insane actually.

It is great of you to join us here at WF.org and I look forward to seeing you around the boards. Feel free to join into every conversation that is going on within the forum and be aware that once you enter them...there is no going back to sanity!!! hehehe and keep all cookies under lock and key as well. Cookie thiefs are always lurking the halls here awaiting their next victim....

Well enjoy your time here with all of us and I shall chat to you on the boards :)

Torana

12. ivy

ivy New Member

Thank you for your warm welcome, not just here, but also on the boards already!

13. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

Dear Writer,

Welcome to one of the fastest growing writers forums on the web. I’m sure if you hang around long enough you’ll begin to make new friends and enjoy becoming a participating member of the writersforum.org. I am sure each new member will bring something new and valuable to the forum as well as find it an interesting and wonderful place to explore and learn more about the wonderful world of writing.

I have been away for awhile myself, and unfortunately have not been able to keep up with greeting the large influx of new members personally. Please forgive, but except my sincerest and belated welcome to the forum.

Cordially yours,

Trailer Trash