1. Warrior

Warrior New Member

Hi Im Warrior

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Warrior, Jul 27, 2010.

Im a new member here I hope I get along with everyone. I like to write action/adventure and sci fi stories. What I dont like is critique I like advice but I dont like to hear you should put a comma here thats a run on sentence blah blah blah. Everyone makes mistakes I write simple sentences and I dont use that many grammer marks. That is not what I think matters in a story for just as my signature saids writing is like art is beautiful to those who understand it.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Warrior, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Nevertheless, critiquing is a skill you will need to develop, to improve your own writing skills and to revise your rough drafts into finished pieces.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Warrior

Warrior New Member

Nope dont need it its called put it in word 2007 or whatever you have and use a tool called spell check. Dont need it dont want its annoying and stupid along with the rules Im seeing I might as well swich back to my other forum at least there critique doesnt matter. I also dont do rough drafts thats a waste of time.

4. Cogito

Spell check will only get you so far. It won't point out if you wrote to instead of too, or rote instead of wrote, or mix up lose and loose.

Writing requires continual improvement, and continual effort.

5. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello there and welcome :)

6. Warrior

Warrior New Member

Thats what reading it over is for. Although I agree with continual effort.

Thanks Shinn. Also do you have something short I can read and review so I can get my thread unlocked I swear each forum I go to has more idiotic rules than the last.

No Im not I just dont agree with the rules thats it you should not have to critique in order to write you should just be able to write freely with critique as an option as well as praise.

This is ridiculous I have to review an entire novel or short story or anything you might as well give me a dictionary and ask me to find a spelling mistake talk about insane.

7. dogboon

dogboon New Member

Without sounding like a Tibetan Grand Ninja, To truly become great first we must become humble and learn how to pull down that what we have, so we can build something greater in its place. My son.

8. Warrior

Warrior New Member

Thats what we americans call STUPID. I just want to share my work on the computer not tell other people how to write. I feel like throwing up right now I could chose from another million writing forums but this one is number one on google.

9. Cogito

Then don't take part in the Review Room critiquing workshop.

You just want a place to share your writing, get some refrigerator magnets.

10. MissLotty

MissLotty New Member

Hello and welcome to WF :)

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome. And no, those rules are not stupid. They're completely fair, and by the look of your responses you could use some critique.