1. empower

empower New Member

Hi! Maybe you can help me.. I have a bag of rough diamonds in my pocket

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by empower, Jan 20, 2013.

Ya, I know, as if I had a problem... The thing is, I can't tell you where I got them but I can tell you there are a lot more of them just laying on the ground. Anyone remember that movie about diamonds in Namibia, on the beach and a guy swims in and just scoops them up? Well, it was kind of like that. But the thing is, now that I have them- and some of them are as big as walnuts-, what do I do with them? It's not like I can walze into My local jeweler's and say "Hi! Interested in buying some diamonds?". Actually, a geologist friend of mine told me to be very careful because deBeers has a quasi-monopoly of the industry and don't take kindly to people inundating the market, especially with walnut-sized diamonds. So, here I am. Since writers are natural problem-solvers, I figured I'd join this forum and just put it out there. Maybe I can get some ideas? Tell you what, give me a great idea and I'll give you a cut. Deal?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whatever you have the stones for, do it.

3. empower

empower New Member

Stones, I got. Not the issue here. It's what to do with the stones, the hard-rock kind.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Cut them, polish them, set them, set up a shop and sell them. If anyone from DeBeers comes along objecting, shoot them.

5. Cogito

Well, what I wouldn't do is post about it on the Internet.

Too late now. Just pray you never feel the bullet when it comes. Don't contact anyone you care about.

6. wavodavo

wavodavo Member

Everybody wants to have your problem, empower. Detectives are natural problem solvers. Are you posting your delimma on their sites too? :rolleyes:

7. empower

empower New Member

Cogito... Re "Don't contact anyone you care about"; that is why I'm talking about it here. (;-)
    Wavodavo... nope, I haven't contacted a dick yet. They usually start the meter as soon as you present the problem. Here, I can get free advise. Some of it may be valuable.

8. empower

empower New Member

Hi minstrel... wierd, I posted an answer to your post and it disapppeared. Anyway, as you were saying:
    "Cut them, polish them, set them"... hmmm, I just don't possess those skills. And to get them would mean leaving my day job, paying tuition to a specialized school and getting trained. But I don't have the upfront cash. RE "set up a shop and sell them". At this point, I don't have anything to sell. "If anyone from DeBeers comes along objecting, shoot them". Hmm, I don't think so. a) I abhor violence, b) I don't own a gun and c) even if, somehow, necessity required that I override a and b, were I do shoot someone, I,d likely get caught and then get send up the river... while the diamonds sit in an undisclosed spot... which kind of defeats the purpose.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, empower!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills. The requirements of the Writing Workshop don't apply to the contests, so new members are allowed (nay, encouraged!) to get stuck in and enter!

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

10. empower

empower New Member

Hi Banzai, Gee, I hope I didn't do anythng wrong. Your reminding me of the rules kind of gave me that impression. I figured I'd introduce myself by means of a story, this being a writers' forum. Perhaps I was wrong in being unorthodox in my approach. If so, I apologize. My assumption was that, as a writer of fiction, one needs to be unruly from time to time (;-).

11. Cogito

Banzai was giving a general introduction to the site and how to use it. There's nothing wrong with your intro thread. It shows imagination and humor, both of which are important qualities for a writer.

12. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi empower, welcome to the site.
    You want to get rid of the rocks? - give 'em to me; that should solve your problem - see what a well meaning, helpful person I can be!

13. muddy130

muddy130 Member

hello, and welcome :)

14. wavodavo

wavodavo Member

Welcome, empower. I, too, wasn't sure if you were scamming, spamming, phishing, or otherwise using this forum to non-writerly ends. I see now you were being creative. You iconoclast you.

15. empower

empower New Member

Hey Trilby... OK, say I do. What are you going to do with them? You'd have the same problem I have, a pocket full of rough diamonds.

16. empower

empower New Member

Gee, Spammin, scammin, phishing... moi? Just figured what the heck... got to introduce myself somehow. But who is gong to help me with my dilemma? I mean, this could be for real...

17. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Just give me the rocks and let me worry about that - as it happens I know a shifty little man in an oversized trench coat with deep inside pockets, he'll give me a good price for them 'No questions asked!'

18. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

BEACHES N PALM TREES

'I reckon you got fine walnuts there, monkey. Stick 'em up and hand them over.'

'Well, whatever he do, he do it quick because this blunderbuss ain't no candy stick.'

'No. He do what we tell him.'

'He's new, we flog him.'

'Fetch the cat.'

'Miaow.'

19. empower

empower New Member

Well, being a charitable soul at heart, I suppose I could give you... some ( since I do have a pocketful and lots more where they came from). But why would I do that? I could probably find 'a guy in a trenchcoat' myself. Just roaming around the diamond district in NY. So, reciprocity being the stuff of life, what do you propose in return? One last thing, I actually have access to a lot more... I don't want to have to hunt down a trenchcoat-wearing thug every time I want to put some of my stones in the market.

20. empower

empower New Member

Oh. no, cat-flogging! I thought they'd outlawed that in 49 states.