1. Colin Ruggles

Colin Ruggles New Member

Stick or Twist

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Colin Ruggles, Dec 2, 2011.

I have started writing a story (hopefully a novel) and have had the plot in my mind as to what I want to happen. I originally planned the plot line out on paper and started writing from that. Since then I have taken my characters off plot and have re written everything a couple of times to bring them back again.

Is it best to stick rigidly to the plot and risk spontaneity or let the plot dictate it's own route as you think of things to add.

I must admit, when I have gone off plot, I have found it difficult to re write without thinking about the new route I could have taken. How when doing this do you link back to the main plot and keep the out come the same, or should that evolve too?

2. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I'm a fan of organic plot developments. Unless there are specific goals in mind that lead to key scenes/moments, then let everything flow naturally.

It's all about perspective. I would lay out a baseline plot first. Perhaps write a log line for the entire novel (a 20-25 word synopsis of your story). Anything within that log line is your "must-have" and everything after that is at the whim of your imagination.

When it concerns your novel, there are no bad ideas. Just good ones and better ones.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Well, in my case I use to really consider those new ideas carefully before I start changing anything of major importance. If you think it's a good enough idea to be worth it, save the previous draft and keep it for the possibility that you might figure out that is wasn't such a good idea and want the old one back.

4. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

I had an plan for how I wanted things to end, and a general concept of what path I wanted that to take. What I ended up with was pretty near that path while reaching the planned end, but I let the story flow where it wanted along the way.

5. Colin Ruggles

Colin Ruggles New Member

Thanks guys, I will have to go with the flow a little more and see where it takes me.

I will definately save previous drafts along the way so as not to have to take out too much.