1. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

alien invasion as a good thing

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Teodor Pravický, Jan 26, 2013.

I'm too hyperactive and nothing to do right now, so I figured out I could make a fanfiction book about alien invasion based on last XCOM game.

Its the game where you have group of tactical soliders that are covering and silently killing one alien after another. The point is not to lose them as they get better skilled.

So I decided to try reverse psychology and make aliens as some heros that are trying to get some resources or they die or something. So I put sneaky tactical soliders at bad side. Applauding for every kill, getting psycho, beating their wifes at home.

Do you think its a good idea since, you know, we are the people and aliens are always reminded as bad guys. It might be about awful things that we do and they don't or so

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's a good idea if and only if you can write it well into a good story.

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

The forum at large might be the wrong audience for a query of that magnitude.

If you can, sit down with a friend or acquaintance who's a Native American. Ask him about the oral traditions and stories that permeate his culture. Even if he tries to be polite and diplomatic, if you listen carefully his discourse will lead to more depth of understanding than we can do with a few simple paragraphs.

4. Sved

Sved New Member

I love that game. I did play the first version 1994 :) In the game the aliens are invading us, but I can easily see plots where they are just explorers or on a mission to help us.

5. wavodavo

wavodavo Member

I think its a great premise, Teodor. Cogito is right, too. It's been done so you need to do it your way. The idea was most notably explored in the 60s by several episodes of the weekly TV series Outer Limits where we humans didn't really measure up morally to alien visitors. A similar story line played out in one of the earlier Star Trek movies where a big alien ship shows up and starts beaming messages to the oceans but ignores all Star Fleet's attempts to hail it. Spock reminds Kirk that it is presumptous to assume every alien that comes to Earth came here to talk to us. So, your idea has competition, but not every thread of it has been explored.

6. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

The thing I like about good and evil in real life is, no one thinks of themselves as the bad guy. Any opportunity to flex your creative muscles should be given a shot. Seeing things form the alien's perspective would be interesting. If you really want a challenge at some point, try writing a short story from the perspective of a Nazi soldier. Good luck!

7. Teodor Pravický

Why not? Do you have a brain scanner?

8. Teodor Pravický

What is really cool about Outer Limits is that they never say whole truth, they leave it up to people kind of. The point is we don't know nothing about it and that's spooky