1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Which one of these is correct?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by doggiedude, Apr 25, 2016.

Sentence is:
    I said the Avninder Corp. which manufactures everything involved with cryostasis, was buying cargo and fishing ships in southern Mexico for the past week.

or
    I said the Avninder Corp., which manufactures everything involved with cryostasis, was buying cargo and fishing ships in southern Mexico for the past week.

The ., looks bizarre to me.

2. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

As far as I am aware, the second is correct as it follows an abbreviation, not a contraction. If you don't like how it looks you may want to consider writing Corporation in full.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not sure by my grammar checker always wants me to put a comma before 'which'.

4. The Triarii

The Triarii Member

A great place to use dashes, they help when the difference between spoken language and written grammar rules don't play nice together.

"I said the Avninder Corp. --which manufactures everything involved with cryostasis-- was buying cargo and fishing ships in southern Mexico for the past week."

or if he is not literally saiyng the sentence in full "The Avninder Corp.," would be correct but you could always choose to spell it out.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Here are some answers by some individuals who seem to treat pedantry like oxygen in the ATP cycle. :bigmeh: Wade past the digressions of exasperating fusspots who cannot in good conscience even address the question unless it is worded to their satisfaction and perhaps you may find some illumination therein.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/115720/what-is-the-correct-format-for-using-commas-after-periods

My personal vote is for the second one with the ., combo. ;) In my opinion the period there is not the same as the period at the end of a sentence and should not be treated as such. It is part of the word Corp.

6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Thanks all

I think I'll go with changing it to Avninder corporation,

The line is spoken from a stocker broker who doesn't have a familiarity with the company like the person he's talking to.

7. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

The second one looks good to me. I type up a lot of legal docs for a living and that sort of thing crops up all the time.

HelloImRex, Steerpike and Oscar Leigh like this.
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I say the second one is correct. As @Viridian noted, it shows up in legal documents all the time. Doesn't look unusual to me.

9. United

United Member

The second one is correct. The comma is needed.

10. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

Don't like the dashes that someone suggested. Dashes are for when the narration purposefully loses its train of thought either because of excitement or something else going on, they aren't for things that could just as easily be better written into a single sentence with commas. Second way is fine.

From that I can't tell which way you're going with it. Anaerobic respiration is a thing, a lot of things get by with it, but then again the 2 atp isn't great compared to the 34 you get from the ETC. Hm, I'll have to read more of your post to know how bad you think an ATP cycle is when lacking oxygen. How mitochondria fit in as a piece of the puzzle: mysterious as usual.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    IHaveNoName and Feo Takahari like this.
  11. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

The second one, but it should be "has been buying", not "was buying".