1. scottyboy90

scottyboy90 New Member

An idea i had...

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by scottyboy90, Jun 16, 2012.

Okay, so I'm a songwriter normally but i had this amazing idea. My girlfriend's favourite hobby is reading and I am planning to propose to her, I thought a unique and romantic way to do so would be to write a book about our relationship up until the point i propose, give it her to read but don't write the last few pages and then propose to her (in person, not in the book) on the last bit to finish the story?? Only problem is I've never written a book before and would just love some peoples feedback as to weather this is a good idea and some pointers on getting started??

Please lemme know guys it would mean a lot! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It's a sweet idea, but I wouldn't do it. Writing a readable book might delay your proposal by years, and it might never be readable. The two of you may not agree about all the details of your relationship. If it isn't very readable, your girlfriend might be distracted and irritated by the task of how to convince you that she thinks it's great. If it's a full-fledged book it will take her hours to read and she might not get around to it for weeks, while you wait around impatiently, getting annoyed.

I'd just propose. After she accepts, then play her a song that you wrote for the occasion.

3. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

I agree. Not to mention she may get bored reading over all the things she already knows. Probably not a good idea.

4. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Active Member

That's a great idea! Do it! And include a romantic song for her in the book. There are so many wonderful ways you could go with this.

Don't just do a blasé normal proposal like every other Tom, Dick and Scotty. A special girl deserves a special proposal. If you propose to her in a unique way she will feel special and unique to you.

All the best.

5. louis1

louis1 Member

I personal think it's a good idea, just like carving her name on the moon would be, it's just not realistic.

There's no way you're going to write a good novel, in less than a year if it's your first time writing. maybe a short story, not a novel.

6. killbill

killbill Member

Yes it can work if you sugar coat the story, specially while expressing your feelings about something she did or said :D If you want to remain true to the facts, make the story no more than 1000 words (or preferably less) and include only those moments which are highlights of your romance, like first time you two met, first kiss, first time you made love, funny moments etc as a way of "showing" how your love for her has been made stronger by those moments. Basically, don't attempt a story, just write a compilations of those moments as mentioned and conclude with "I love you" and of course "will you......"

7. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Don't focus on a full length novel type story. Pare down the concept to a short story. Something you can accomplish in a shorter period of time. As killbill said, keep it in brief form and make it more of a iteration of the highlights of your life together so far. (The very fact that you remember those moments and they meant something to you will be award winning in her estimation, believe me. And, be aware, this is not actually a publication focused story. It is a proposal in book form. HAH! The world's greatest Book Proposal. And ... by all means, go for it. And actually put the proposal in the story! That is such an awesome idea! (And we won't tell anybody what a wishy, washy, romantic you really are!) But, keeping it a short story - maybe ten pages or less - give it to her to read some weekend when you are together and alone. End the story with something like,

That way you are leaving the actual final line to her to finish. It doesn't have to be a top notch perfect piece of literature. Unlike your music, you are not really trying to get it pubbed, anyway. Right? (And you can tell her when you give it to her it is a "finish the story" kind of book and you want to know her take on it.)

Let us know how it turns out... I have a feeling she'll say yes. Good luck and Congratulations.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but i have to agree with those who advise against trying to write a book, unless you don't want to propose for a year or more... and even then, with you having no experience writing novels, i doubt she'd enjoy reading it for all the reasons given above and that would negate any positive spin on the proposal...

as you're a songwriter why not just write her a 'proposal' song, do up a demo cd of it and hit 'play' at an appropriate moment...