1. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Help getting started

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Pauli, Nov 25, 2008.

Hi,

Pauli here - I'm a newbie...

At the moment I'm directing a play I have just finished writing. It's taken me two years, seven drafts and 5 readings.

Earlier this year I made up my mind to move away from theatre and instead have a go at writing a book. This may well be my last play.

I have numerous ideas for both fiction and non-fiction works but it occurred to me last week that whilst I am in the process of rehearsing it would make sense to begin a novel of the very play I'm working on.

My question?

Well...:)...to be honest I'm just not sure how / where to start.

I have made a start but I'm not really happy with it...

I have the story, location and characters - that side of it is all done.

I guess what I'm having trouble with is do I write from the first person, do I recount the story or tell it as it unfolds?

My personal desire it to write it as it unfolds from the point of view of the main character.

HELP!!!!! It's just the whole getting started thing I guess :confused

Is there an exercise I can do that might help me to focus on solving this early dilemma?

I know that once I get started I will be OK - it's just the whole getting started...I hope this post makes some kind of sense...

2. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE Contributing Member

Go with your gut feeling, your personal desire. You'll probably write better that way. And stop stuffing around and just write, seriously, and no offence, but its true.

3. eclecticism7

eclecticism7 New Member

Under those circumstances, I would think it would be easier to write from the third person, because it's already written that way, but as RIPPA MATE said, if you want to write in the first person, it will probably turn out better that way. Just make sure that you don't spend all of your time wondering if it's turning out okay--just write it, then rewrite it as many times as may be necessary. It will end up having a better feel to it, and from my experience, you're much more likely to avoid writers' block. Good luck from the thespians (half of my acting troupe is looking over my shoulder:rolleyes:)!

4. lipton_lover

lipton_lover Contributing Member

Write what feels right. If you write for yourself, you'll get the best results.

This has been coming up quite a bit lately, but actually the point of view and past/present tense can change the 'speed' of the book. If it's action, first person present tense would help make it more exciting. Past tense isn't as exciting because it already happened, and 3rd person doesn't have the 'feel' of first person, the feel of being there. It's like looking down on the scene.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You mentioned storyline, characters, and setting (location). Do you have a main plot and supporting plots?

A plot consists of an actor, a goal or objective, and conflicts or obstructions the actor must overcome to attain the goal.

Plot is what propels a character through the events of a story.

6. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

In terms of first person/how the story unfolds, do what feels right. You use the same sorts of insticts when you're writing a play. It's all just done in a different format. To start in that format, think like the director does in deciding how the actors should do things and what everything looks like.

7. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Yes I have a plot too ;}

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

totally not true, imo... with a good writer on the keyboard, third is every bit as exciting a read as first... can be more, in fact, and more impactful on the readers as well, because they can relate to all of the characters and not just the one indulging in all of those annoying 'i's...

add to that the rigidly limited view it gives of events and the fact that nothing can be written about that the narrator doesn't witness or know about, which severely limits plot and subplots, making for a much more boring storyline than third allows for...

and most writers [even most of the best] don't do first person at all well, either!

which is why agents' and publishing house acquisition editors' eyes roll at the sight of yet another first person ms by a newbie...