Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fancy1600

Fancy1600 New Member

Book about a werewolf

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Fancy1600, Jul 3, 2008.

well I wanna write a book about a werewolf who goes to this new school and imprints(falls inlove) with this girl she meets there. yeah its like a book for gays but other ppl might like it too...so the problem is the girl the werewolf imprints on doesn't like girls and then finds out that the girl is a werewolf and is inlove with her and sorta doesnt talk to the girl but soon she starts falling for the girl but wont admit it or tell anyone and then yeah Iwas gonna go from there...so anyone have any idea how I shud start this out? like the first page or w.e.?

2. Conor

Conor New Member

Okay, first of all, you are totally ripping off Stephenie Meyer's concept of imprinting from the Twilight saga.
    I think that you should come up with your own ideas.

3. Fancy1600

Fancy1600 New Member

holy crap listen I dont read that crap and anyone is allowed to write books about anything they want so i wudnt be ripping off her anyways

4. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

personaly, i think you should write it. i have not been writing that long. well actually trying to write a book that is. but i think just about every idea has been played out. just throw your own twist and turns in there. im not sure how copywrite works but even if its the same idea just somewhat different i dont see how its copywriting.
    jim

5. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

It may not technically be plaigarism, but you are essentially stealing the concept of "imprinting"; at least come up with a different name. Or better yet, why not have an actual romance? Since you are essentially writing the same kind of "crap", you claim not to read, your defense doesn't hold much water.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Imprinting is not a word created by the original author - it's a psychological term, also used by naturalists, that refers to a close familial bonding, usually between a parent and offspring.

Concepts and themes are not copyrightable. However, if your work sounds too similar to another author's work, the readers will reject it even if it is not technically a copyright violation.

Remember to keep the tone of the discussions respectful toward one another.

7. draciaveil

draciaveil New Member

Although imprinting is a psychological term, imprinting as it relates to werewolves falling in love is something created by Stephenie Meyer.

You must have either read about this in Eclipse or heard about it from someone; falling in love by imprinting is not a classical, folklore-founded trait of werewolves.

All the same, it sounds like an interesting idea, and you could think of other options besides imprinting. Just for example, maybe because werewolves have a stronger sense of smell, they can be unreasonably attracted to someone just because of their particular scent, or something like that.

8. Jade

Jade Active Member

Isn't that ripping off Twilight too? :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you want to write this book, then go for it. Stephanie Meyer doesn't have the monopoly on teenage vampires/werewolves. I've read books that focused on the subject before her. Although, like draciaveil said, you might not want to call the process 'imprinting' and you should also think of some aspect that is totally new and your own.

9. penhobby

penhobby New Member

We are discussing dark lore here, an idea that's been around the block a few thousand times over hundreds of years. So, you need to recognize that the descriptive options here are endless, and in most cases not original to the author. The trick I think, is to find a unique way of describing an old, and I mean very old, dark fantasy.

10. xMissEnvyx

xMissEnvyx New Member

I recommend that you should take some time to read some stories about werewolves. The first thing about a good writer is that they are knowledgeable in the field they are writing about. If you don't want to read Twilight, then maybe some other books?

Personally I like the book "Wolf Moon" by Charles De Lint. It's a Young Adult book, and pretty short. Only 245 pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.