1. MissNonscentical

MissNonscentical New Member

Main character has two names, is this confusing?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MissNonscentical, Jul 25, 2012.

The main character in my story has two names in the novel I'm writing. And before I go any further, I want to make sure this isn't confusing. Her first name is Nicole, which is the name she was given at birth by her human parents. Her other name (which I consider to be her real name) is Loreali. This is the name she had before she was born as a human. In my novel, Nicole "awakens" at one point and comes to learn of her history, albeit slowly, and that she has this other identity. I want to build up the confusion, fear, and uncertainty that would all entail. I was thinking the two name thing would help, but I don't want it to be confusing for readers as well. So do you think I should stick with it, or just give her one name and stick with that?

2. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

As long as there's a clear establishment on her dual names, and that it's the same person I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. Readers are smart, but you've got to be a good leader. Writing is like herding sheep.

Try using the description of facial features/other physical features following the name to indicate that it's the same body you're speaking of. Then proofread it yourself (and ask if even an idiot could connect the two XP.) Does that make sense?

Here's a shoddy example I made for you:
    "The somber, blue eyed girl looked at her mother with a certain calmness."
    And
    "She looked to the man in the gray coat with her somber, blue eyes calmly."

3. -oz

-oz Active Member

I see zero problems with using two names. Many stories do it, and like Vague said above, as long as you connect both names to the person, you should be fine.

-oz

4. MissNonscentical

MissNonscentical New Member

Ok, well thank you for the feedback. My story starts out with her just being a regular college student and slowly she gets bits and pieces of information that show she was someone else in a past life. So I don't think it will be confusing, or at least I hope not.

5. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

I generally hate when characters are given two names but seeing as it's significant in your story I see no problem with it as long as you make it clear that Nicole and Loreali are one and the same.

6. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Superman is known as Clark Kent for his human name, and Kal-El for his Kryptonian name. There's a clear establishment there and no confusion at all.

Also, in The Matrix the main characters real name is Thomas A. Anderson, but he also goes by a hacker alias Neo.

7. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Hm. This is nitpickery, but the name is properly spelled "Lorelai". Maybe that's just a typo, though.

Anyway, two names are fine, as long as you don't interchange them a lot. Like, have her be Nicole for just the beginning, and then stick with Lorelai for the rest of the story. Maybe add a Nicole every so often when a past character talks to her, and then it's been so long she takes a minute to remember that's her name.

8. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Mister Andersonnnn.

9. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Oh, and my character has two names. Well, more than two once you start counting pet names. But it's essential to the story.

10. epicfailpig

epicfailpig New Member

I'd say that having a character with two names is perfectly fine. So long as you don't interchange them every other sentence and whatnot, it's not too complicated.

Additionally, you could choose which name your using based on the perspective your writing in. If her human friends are talking to her, they'd probably call her 'Nicole,' while anyone who knew her before she became a human could call her 'Loreali.'

11. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I wouldn't see it as a problem, unless you throw in a pile of nick names - Nic , Nicki , doll-face , some wisenheimer using her last name, before
    swapping over to her real name. That could be a headache.