1. Hindumaliman

Hindumaliman New Member

Regarding the romance of inanimate objects

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Hindumaliman, Jun 26, 2009.

A theme in my story, a sub-plot really is a romantic triangle between a pencil sharpener named Terry, A curtain pole named Cole, and a pen named Sven.

Their speaking is of course unheard by the animate characters and I am asking whether or not I should have them speak to eachother, or simply make gestures
    Such as Terry buzzing in approval or Cole's copper exterior showing a slightly more robust shade of red in embarrassment.

2. PrettySiren

PrettySiren New Member

Well, the real question is: how important is their love triangle to the story? If the story's important enough to be told, just tell it like it is.

Do the inanimate objects in your story have the ability to speak? If so, let them speak. If not, then it probably would be best to make gestures or what have you. If the love triangle is complicated, you would do best to let them speak to each other, only because going the other route could seem tedious after awhile -- not to mention confuse the reader.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

It depends on the POV you're writing from, mostly (3rd would easily allow it, 1st would at a stretch - coincidentally, see my post on the impersonal narrative voice).
    Also it depends on how committed to realism you are (not very, by the sounds of it :D.

Also, I'm totally naming my pen Sven.

4. Hindumaliman

Hindumaliman New Member

I did it first!

But anyway

Prettysiren: The love triangle is sort of a subsidiary to the climax so it is important, also it's complex so I think I'll go with dialogue

arron89: Its 3rd person so I'll be able to fit it. What's real anyway?

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

Sweet as.
    Sounds pretty awesome. I dig surrealism in fiction.

6. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

This thread is not nearly as sexy as the title made it sound.

7. JavaMan

JavaMan New Member

Gives a whole new look at the phrase 'office romance'.:D

Personally, maybe Mr.Post-It should intervene as comic relief - y'know, before heavy sibliminal sentilmentalty causes the pen Sven to 'fall' off of the desk into the wastebasket.

A very symbolic piece of work, obviously. Perhaps then a boss character (using your writings skills to create ego-intensive reflection, i.e. psychological projection), only being referred to as 'I Be Him', has a God complex, and therefore appeals to those who love the 'system' and those who are 'sick' by it.... you get the idea:rolleyes:

Truely groundbreaking work, but I'm not quite sure of the demographic appeal :D;)

8. lovely

lovely New Member

If you still want ideas on how to make this work, Hans Christian Andersen did a lot of this in his fairy tales. He would be a great person to get ideas from.

9. Hindumaliman

Hindumaliman New Member

Well thanks for all your advice guys