Tags:
  1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

What kind of world do we live in?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Mar 8, 2008.

Today I was watching the news when a story came on about a young 16 year old girl was brutally murdered by two lesbian lovers. I sat and shed tears for this poor girls parents. The story was heart breaking.

The two have been sentenced to to a strict security life imprisonment, with a minimum 24-year non-parole perios, for the "sexually perverse" and "evil" killing.

The story says how the two females, 19 and 21, showed no remorse for what they had done and that they were amused by it all. I was sickened to the stomach.

They said how they had killed this young girl because she had been ANNOYING them! What the heck? What is this world coming to?

One of the females had come up behind her and hit her over the head with a with a concrete slab. The victim tried to escape but the perpetrator kept hitting her with the slab and the other than joined by strangling her with a dog chain belt.

This is just disgusting what this poor girl had to endure. The killers made a mobile phone video of the murder scene , they then dumped her body in a wheelie bin in the back shed.

What kind of sick people can do this kind of thing though? Do people not have any respect for each other anymore? Do people really care this little about the rest of humanity?

I hate to think that this is the world that I have brought my children into. These days it is no wonder parents desire to home school their children and keep them locked away from the rest of the world. How are we possibly able to keep our children safe anymore when half the time it is people that they class as friends going out and murdering them?

It really sickens me to hear of such brutality in a world that is meant to be full of such wonder and beauty. Australia is looked at as to be such a wonderful place to live in. Well how wonderful does it look now? It is not better than any other country. There are people out there every day killing others for absolutely no damn reason at all and what is being done about this? Not enough! I say bring back capitol panishment. Bring back the death sentence.

This world we live in is very quickly getting out of control. More and more people of all ages are out there killing, raping, stealing, breaking the law and getting away with it all. In this case something was done. But a minimum of 24 years? What the heck? This young girl won't get up out of her grave in 24 years, so why should these two perverted and pethetic females be allowed to continue their lives at all? This is not justice! This is just sickening!

I really am appauled by the way this world we live in has turned out and the way the law does so little to protect our families! My heart goes out to the friends and family of this young 16 year old girl. Their lives have been absolutely ripped apart. May time help them to deal with the pain and sufferage that they are now going to live with for the rest of their lives over the brutal and heart wrenching loss of this young lady.

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Hey, feel lucky. You got on the ride earlier than I did. My people are the ones who'll have to inherit this thing.

3. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

In another thread you said no human life could be traded for $1 billion. Do you still think this?

That story is appalling. In circumstances like that the death sentence should be put into action immediately - as in, those women get the surprise of their lives when they find they're to be killed the next week.

Everywhere in the world has bad people, it can't be escaped. When bad people kill other bad people it's a good thing, a completely excellent thing. There are too many of us already and some just don't fit in with society. But when bad people kill good people I get really annoyed. If that girl was to be a scholar (I'm assuming not if she was in correspondence with the psychos) then that's a massive waste.

I don't much care for humans. There are exceptions, people I meet who I can happily be friends with, but for a majority I have an instant distaste for them, and I can always sense this immediately.

Also, as an afterthought, when humans kill animals it seems to bother me more than when we kill each other. They're innocent, we're not.

4. Torana

Sometimes Bluemouth I really do wonder......

I couldn't agree more...

5. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

It really is incomprehensible, I don't think I'll ever understand what compels people to do such a thing and I don't think I want to. On the whole, we live in an incredibly sick society and I hate to think where it's heading. If people find it acceptable and even enjoyable to cause so much suffering and pain to the people around them, what hope do we really have? :confused: The world is turning into such a disgusting place and despite that many good people still inhabit it, it is incredibly distressing to think we're surrounded by such a large population completely lacking in compassion or love or kindness.

Though, I do have to say I find it odd that the news felt the need to highlight that they were a lesbian couple - I suppose that makes it more interesting :rolleyes:

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

We can say it's a sick world, but I think it's more accurate to say that the sickest of the sick are more visible to the rest of us than ever before.

It has become harder for them to operate out of sight of the rest of the world. The cockroaches have fewer dark cracks to scurry into out of the light.

7. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i must say that this is truly sickening, what would drive someone to do such a thing. it really makes you think doesn't it?
    killing them doesn't make anything better. its my personal belief that the death penalty should be banned. nobody has the right to kill another person no matter what they've done. like you said you dont mind bad people killing bad people but what of the good people killing bad people, how is that any different? at the end of the day we're just people killing people.

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

A truly sad and difficult situation left to the family of the slain girl--and that is a complete understatement. What can be said? The loss of the teen to her family and friends will be felt for years.

This is another reminder that there is evil in the world and the existance of individuals who won't hesitate to perform evil acts whenever it strikes them for whatever motivation or reason.

Terry

9. ILTBY

I was actually going to point this out but it was 4am and I forgot :p That is another issue, the news mostly highlights the negative stuff in the world meaning it becomes more dominant than the positive stuff. There is a huge amount of positive stuff in the world, but it's just not publicised enough because it doesn't make as 'good' news. I think often things only become obvious when they're actually pointed out to us - if we're only focussing on one thing it's hard to notice anything else.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

welcome to the real world, tor!... i'm surprised you were so surprised by that story, since horrors like that go on all over the world every single day... and always have... only difference is we just hear about them all now, thanks to modern technology...

what surprised [and disgusted] me, is you and the australian press making such a point of the perps being 'lesbian lovers' which has nothing whatsoever to do with how evil those girls and their act were... that smacks of lowdown homophobia and does nothing but make stupid people think any lesbian might do such a thing... just like was done re homosexuals and AIDS, even though gay guys didn't invent the disease...

using labels like that is never a good thing... the two who committed the crime were indeed evil, but their being lesbian had no bearing on it, did it?

11. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Hmm, that might be "disgusting" if it didn't have any relevance to the story, but read this:

After reading that, their sexual orientation and status as lovers clearly has relevance to the story.

At any rate, what they did is disgusting, but I'm inclined to agree with the other people who say that this sort of thing has always happened. The advent of mass media really has brought so much out into the open.

It's sad, and terrible, but we still live in a good world. We can still live good lives regardless of whether or not things like this happen. Granted they shouldn't, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought that this sort of behavior could be completely stopped.

12. Torana

I don't like to watch the news because of this reason. It is why I stopped watching the news all together. But this act...it was inhumane! It isn't just lesbians out there doing sick crap like this maia, there are people doing this kind of crap all the time and it is just disgusting.

And why shouldn't the media highlight how this couples sexual preferance. THey do the same with any couple that murder. Highlight that they are infact a couple. But the fact that these two toook so much sexual pleasure in this is just appauling.

It just reminds me why my decision to not watch television was a good decision. People are so desensitized to the vulgairities in life now. People really are the most vulgar species in gods creation. Makes you wonder why he created such a race?

13. Cogito

Sorry, Connolly, but I agree with mammamaia on this. Just because the Daily Mail has taken it a step further to present a possible motive (from where, exactly? Did the reporter drag it out of his butt?), doesn't make the sexual orientation of the killers relevent.

It looks to me as though the writer was capitalizing on every lurid detail he could get his hands on.

(Note: I an not assuming the writer was necessarily male. I'm just using the standard pronoun convention for nonspecific gender).

14. Torana

and I'd just like to add that none of you would be saying those things if it were a friend or family member of yours!!!

15. Cogito

Wouldn't I? I would passionately hate the people who committed the act.

But I think you underestimate how strongly I feel about bigotry. They murdered. That was their crime. Their alleged sexual prefernce was not the crime, nor should their crime be a cause celebre to hate other lesbians.

16. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

That's what the press do - manipulate viewers/readers.

I don't know if you have heard about the young (bogan) mother and father from Adelaide who supposedly killed their baby daughter? Well last year I happened to watch a segment on the news where the media manipulated viewers and tried to put them on the couple's side - showing them holding each other, crying, close-ups on them crying over a photo of their daughter. I laughed at how poor the story was put together. But it seemed Channel 7 were on the side of the couple.

A few days ago the verdict came in and now the woman is serving 4 years for manslaughter and the father a lot longer, possibly for murder though I'm not sure.

So why manipulate that story? It was pretty obvious at the time they'd killed their baby, yet they came up with a sympathy story.

People who tell it like it is are the way to go. When that Penn & Teller show comes on late at night I might tune in because at least I know they're being honest.

17. Torana

Their sexual orientation is not relevant no. But the fact that they ARE a coupleis relevant to the story.

Bluemouth they told the story how it was. There were no lies in the story. It was a sick and perverted murder. They had no reason to go and kill this young girl. Their reason was just sickening. It would be like me saying I was going to kill someone cause I don't like the way that they dress.....

18. Cogito

In any case, what they did was unconscionable, truly sickening. The details of why they did it is not important, at least not to me. Apart from, of course, the fact that it clearly wasn't self defense.

Motives aren't even essential to their trial. Only the fact that it was vicious and deliberate.

19. ILTBY

What else shocks me s that people have adapted to t ibecause t's become so common. t's sad to thnk murder and death has become normal n socety just because t occurs a lot.

'm not drectng ths at anyone, just thnk t's sad that we've become so desenstsed.

P.S: Excuse the typng, havng ssues wth my i key. (that one s coped and pasted)

20. Torana

I agree with you ILTBY. Murder and violence are far too common a thing in modern day society and people ARE becoming desensitized to it. It is worrying. I mean the number of murders in the world are increasing and the age of the perpetrators is getting younger and younger. It really is shocking that this is the world we have come to know.

What saddens me the most is the fact that imprisonment really doesn't seem to bother many people anymore. It has become a home away from home for so many. They go in, get free tuition, free food, free board, life of leisure. Though there are cases where it isn't so accomodating. But many prisons are a home away from home now-a-days. People aren't bothered too much about spending time inside. They care less for each other and the rest of humanity and it is becoming more and more obvious to me everyday how little mankind really does care about the rest of civilization.

If there honestly is a heaven and hell...I would say that where we are is hell because we walk out of the safetly of our own homes into the world where horror is reality. I guess this is why horror movies and the like aren't that terrifying anymore. Because what we face in the real world is horriffic enough...

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm with cog in saying i certainly would!

22. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I know I'm a bit late into this but I would like to point out that this world is much more civil than it used to be. Things like this happened all the time, anytime in the world's history. It's a sad thing, but humans can be the most violent and evil creatures ever while at the same time be kind and peaceful. It's not that the world is more violent, it's that with more people comes more violent people.

23. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

No! You! Are! Wrong!

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/violence_and_videogames

I don't want to sound rude, but I want you to realize what a bad, bad, bad thing that is to say even more! There is no children's youth epidemic. The media just exploits what will get them the most attention! Don't buy into that!

Hopefully, those exclamation marks were enough to get the point across.

24. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Alleliuia Crazy Ivan. I hate the media for trying to make everything look so much worse than it is. So negative they are... :mad:

And you seem really negative about today's society Torana. Have we forgoten about how inhumane people were in the Spanish Inquisition? People are evil, people are twisted, people enjoy watching others suffer. It's just how people are.

25. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

You guys should stop bickering about this. D= Can't you see how distressed Torana is?

*Gives Torana a big hug.*

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the specifics. So the media said they are lesbians. So what? I'm not going to condemn all lesbians because of that. Are you? If the answer is no, then what the hell are you arguing about?

The main point here is that some people are so incomprihendibly (lolnotaword) ****ed up and Torana fears for her and her families safety in the world.