Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wakingtowinter

wakingtowinter New Member

Help me choose what to read...

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by wakingtowinter, Aug 20, 2010.

Hello,

I have been lurking on here for a little while and I have a question I think a lot of you may be able to help me with, so here is my first post. I am registering for a creative writing class in which students are able to design their own curriculum, including the reading list. I am taking this class for 8 credits. I am supposed to write a proposal to the professor outlining my project and give a reading list. I'd like to get this in as soon as possible since the class is filling up.

For the past couple years I've been focused on literature of place. What I've decided to do with this class is to take that in a new direction and begin to focus not so much on the positive values of "nature writing", i.e. regional culture, language, customs, etc., as the negative values. By this I mean I want to examine the evolving nature of industrial societies devoid of nature and local color, a homogeneous zone, the anti-place, if you will. Unlike most literature of place, I also want to focus a bit more on the character, and examine the neuroses and pathologies of humans in these sorts of damaged communities. In fiction I tend to fixate on character more than anything else. So this won't be regional writing that celebrates particularity and intact natural communities; it will be writing that observes the spiritual and mental collapse of a society devoid of these things. JG Ballard comes to mind first for me. In most science fiction man conquers setting, but in Ballard it's flipped around. Characters are perverted lunatics, casualties of technology. I've read a lot of Ballard's short stories, but not much of his longer stuff, so I am putting High Rise on my list. I have a couple other ideas for my reading list, but I would be grateful for a few suggestions. Here's what I was thinking of so far. This is very tentative...

JG Ballard - High Rise
    Bret Easton Ellis - American Pyscho
    Theodore Dreiser - An American Tragedy
    Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
    Sinclair Lewis - Dodsworth

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. erik martin

erik martin Contributing Member

How about Vonnegut's 'Player Piano?'

3. Tessie

Tessie Contributing Member Contributor

Hello there Wakingtowinter. Welcome to WF!

I can't help you with your question. But because you are a new member, you should go over to "New Member Introductions" and properly introduce yourself. This is the norm.
    I Hope you like it here, and I'm sure there are people around willing to help!

4. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Go to "Book Discussion," that's the forum to talk about literature that's already been written/published. I'm sure more people there will know how to answer your question!

5. rainy

rainy Senior Member

I'm not sure but maybe Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) would be of interest. Just a thought.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

I would replace American Psycho with Less Than Zero, given your particular concerns. And the obvious addition would be 1984. Aside from that, I'd recommend Wonderful, Wonderful Times or Lust by Elfriede Jelinek and either In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami or Snakes and Earrings by Hitomi Kanehara.

7. amble

amble Member

Lord of the flies?
    Running Man?
    The Time Machine?
    Brave New World?

It seems you're looking for dystopian fiction?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.