1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Help Me Idea Block

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Leaka, Apr 25, 2008.

I have a disease of idea block.
    Idea block is when I have to many ideas swarming in my head so that I never want to stay tied down to one story.
    i get ideas twenty four seven and I wake up in the middle of the night just to start writing an idea that I had.
    This idea traffic jam is making me go insane.
    What to do?
    How do I settle my brain down?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats Contributing Member

When it happens to me, I settle down and start brain storming. What ideas can be put together to make a single story? What Ideas cannot be reconciled together and must remain seperate? Usually it helps me cut back on ideas that need to actually be written from maybe six or seven to one or two. Often one idea will bury itself leaving me with just one to work on.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Jot ideas down, keep files of them, so they're not lost. But instead of jumping around from project to project--never finishing one of them, focus. Put the others aside--they're safe in their files. Nothing will be lost or forgotten. If nothing is ever finished, all those ideas will never be shared with readers (at least not in a complete/coherent fashion).

Either, in the end, you'll do what it takes to do it--write and complete your works. Or, whatever else you may want to blame, you won't have mustered the self-discipline necessary to do it.

Terry

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I try, but I want to write them. I get so itchy about ideas. I feel like every idea has to be written. I have this impusle that keeps me wanting to do something. I'm so stubborn and never want to stop.

5. ATKatrina

ATKatrina New Member

You can't fall into a rut thinking that the latest idea is more worth pursuing than the one you're currently writing. If the latest idea is the best, wasn't the one you're currently writing the "latest and best" idea at one time too?

If these ideas are so good that they have to be written, then write them -- ONE AT A TIME -- you can generate an idea and flesh out some concepts around with a handful of notes, ideas, thoughts--then put it down and continue to focus on the current idea you're writing on.

You can even use a voice recorder. You don't HAVE to write about ideas popping into your head, just blast your thoughts into the voice recorder and get back to the one you're working on. These thoughts & ideas can be recorded at any time without having to pull yourself away from what you're doing.

It's your choice, record your thoughts & ideas while keeping focus, or meander and get pulled every which way while never getting anything done--it's up to you.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Recording is to hard. Its so frustrating.
    I lose ideas of my other story because of other stories. I'm trying my best, but my brain feels like its going to explode sooner or later.
    I've been recording the ideas a few times, but this is just to damn hard. I want to bang my head on the desk all the time. I try to say focus, but I can't.
    I really really really really really really want to finish one novel without other ideas coming to me. I really really really really really do.

7. TWErvin2

Leaka,

As was indicated by ATKatrina:
    Either you muster the self-discipline necessary to complete a project or you don't. Passing it off that "you're trying your best but it's too hard", in the end won't cut it. If you "...really really really really really really want to finish one novel without other ideas coming to me. I really really really really really do , " but then copping out that it's too hard to set those ideas aside, well, where will you be a year from now?

If your goal is to complete works (and submit them or not), you know what you have to do. Sure it's hard. If it wasn't, everybody would succeed at it. If you don't succeed, you will have no one else to blame but yourself.

Harsh as it may seem, now that you've been around long enough and experienced the situation and know what you must do to get it done, the time for pitty parties is over.

Terry

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Its not a pity party....I dislike that when people think I'm crying self pity. I'm I asking for some advice how to control my idea flow. Recording and putting them in a file will not work for an ideaholic.
    I've tried. I have one novel with 30 chapters. I need the other 2 done. I will submit them. I just need to straighten my ideas instead of starting new stories. Or working on other stories.
    Its just that I find a story tasteless after a while. I feel my stories start of good and become lack luster.
    I'm fixing grammar in my 30 chapter story (that bores me to death), I'm still fixing the chapters to make theme even better (its okay, but still to much work), and then I'm suppose to finish the other 2 chapters. The problem is that words give me ideas. As I write the word beautiful ten million thoughts come flying t me like an out control spaceship.
    I'm not asking for pity. I'm asking for help and advice. Get your thoughts straight.

9. TWErvin2

Leaka,

As I read this thread, I believe my thoughts are straight. I and another member made suggestions on how to solve the issue. Your response was to say how hard it is, just too damn hard no matter how hard you try, but that you really (repeat multiple times) want to finish one novel, you really (repeat multiple times) do. I came away with a plea for empathy, sympathy, maybe whining or woe is me how hard it is. What would you have me say?

I am sorry; I understand your plight. But in the end, as a professional, you will either muster the self-discipline to reach your goal(s) or you will fail. There isn't an in between. A novel isn't finished until it's finished. (I guess one could argue over the definition of a 'finished novel', but I think the context establishes that well enough.)

Many things in life are difficult. Being a successful writer is probably one of the more daunting. The development of the necessary skills, time commitment involved, and the dedication/perseverance knowing the long, long odds due to the massive volume of competition (if nothing else) compared to the limited number of publication slots--realizing that at the end of the day you may have nothing tangible to show for it, makes it difficult.

Allowing something like 'too many ideas assaulting your writing process' to create an insurmountable barrier and blocking you from reaching your writing goals? There are so many more hurdles yet to cross. Either the self-discipline is in you or it isn't. Do what it takes to get past this one.

Terry

10. ATKatrina

ATKatrina New Member

HARD??
    You really lost me there.
    I have an Olympus DS-30 digital voice recorder. Not much bigger than an iPod Nano.
    I push any button, it turns on, I select the folder I want to throw the idea in, I hit record, I hit stop. For me, thats WAAY faster than stopping to write.
    I went out and bought it because I had a problem--too many different kinds of ideas/insights coming in too quickly and in too many different times & places to keep track of them or to stop and write down.
    Folder A = grammar rules/insights
    Folder B = word & phrase bucket for anything remotely interesting
    Folder C = Writing insights/tips/misc rules
    Folder D = Rewriting/reviewing insights/tips/misc rules
    Folder E = idea bucket for miscellaneous thoughts

I'm currently finishing a project to input all of those recordings into spreadsheets so I can have instant visual access to everything instead of hitting buttons on the recorder to access them. However, they're still on there so I can listen to them anytime I'm not at the computer. Great for hearing thoughts again, or listening to things I need to remember about writing.

I just finished studying Grisham, Michener, Dan Brown, and "The elements of style" in preparation for a rewrite. You want to talk about being assaulted all at once with words, ideas, rules, insights, aspirations, inspirations, doubts, technique, form, style, approach etc..... Everything is coming in simultaneously and all of it is VALUABLE. It has to go somewhere right now and be organized without getting lost and without getting in the way of the overall focus - which for me right now is re-wiring my brain to do a critical rewrite of the 317 pages of non-fiction I just wrote.

Anyway, maybe that'll help. Focusing on and pursuing a solution sure beats splashing around in the ocean of your brain, disoriented, drowning and lost in a hurricane of thoughts and ideas.
    Like I said its up to you: go check out the digital recorders and make the investment, or get an "analog" version in the form of a spiral notebook with tabs for the categories of your various ideas & thoughts.

You need to keep pursuing capture and organization solutions until you find something effective. Anything else is just treading water, splashing around and complaining--and that doesn't get writing done. Speaking of, my break is over, back to it.