Tags:
  1. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Help me name my baby!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nervous1st, Jan 5, 2010.

Hi all,

I only have six weeks to go until this baby is due and hubby and I are still not sure on names. I've done the baby names websites and parenting websites but I need new inspiration.

We like Max for a boy and my husband likes Belle for a girl. I'm just not convinced on Belle but unless I can come up with something better, he's not going to change his mind.

So its got me thinking... what are your favourite names? Characters? What are the most popular names where you hail from? Any suggestions?

I don't like anything made up or anything my kid will have to pronounce or spell for the rest of its life. I like traditional but not old fashioned.

Thanks for your help!!

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Aaron is a fantastic name, as is, for a girl, Erin. Also, especially for philosophy/gnosticism nerds, Sophia.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Trevor/Gayle (just off the top of my head)

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I like the name Paige for a girl.

I tried to think of other traditional names, but I'm a big fan of crazy names, so most of my favorite names are weird...

5. SHorgan

SHorgan New Member

Jason/Alice?

6. bux

bux New Member

Neal - Taylor

7. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Molly or Coleen... I love those names. My dad wanted to name my youngest sister Coleen, but my mom didn't agree with that. :p

8. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Give any name that isn't really a surname or a short form. And crazy spellings become a real pain for the person later.

If you give a name which is really a surname like 'Taylor/Tailor', why use another family's surname instead of one from your own family? I'm generalising here of course, but in the 19th century in particular, surnames (especially the wife's maiden name) were frequently given as a SECOND name, but the person was more usually known by their 'Christian' (first) name. Now some of these surnames have become like first names, but they are still not very appealing IMO.

If you give the correct full name, like Alexander/ra, instead of 'Alex', then he/she is free to use the short form later if he/she so wishes. 'Max' is the short form and just makes me think of 'maximum' so I'm not keen on that (you did ask for OUR opinions!). And don't saddle the child with a name that is really way out. Again, they can adapt their name when they get older if they want to be known by something that is like a nickname, e.g. my friend was Annabel Young but she's been known as 'Yanna' for the last 30 years.

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Alessa, Alice, Alicia, Bethany, Carrie, Tiffany, Tahlia, Tahalia, Tayla,

Good luck hun, I know how hard it can be to come up with a name that you are both happy with.

Good luck with the last 6 weeks as well! *hugs*

10. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Let's see Girls names: Alexandra, Bethany, Ellenora, Penelope, Pheobe, Sophia and Zoe.

Boys, Alexander, Connor, David, Ian, Jackson, Ryan, Zachary

Those are probably my favorites, though if I thought about it longer my list would be pages long.

11. navyblue

navyblue New Member

April? Summer? Carreen?

12. Chizica

Chizica New Member

If I had a son, I'd name him Logan. I've always liked the name. Yeah, go with Logan...it's a winner! ;)

13. Torana

Deanna, Madelline, Maddy, Crystal, Kristy, Sharyn, Carolyn, Shelly, Sheldon, Reagan, Paige, Krysta, Isabella, Beckany, Tammy, Rose, Abby, Adelle, Alexis, Amarie, Andrea, Brianna, Bronwyn, Sharleen, Darcy, Eloisa, Georgia

Sorry, got talking names with a friend who is due in a couple of months. These are some names her and her partner had on their extensive list for a girl.

14. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Still a couple of girlsnames I find pretty: Naomi, Olivia, Celeste, Eleanor, Rose, Gwen, Melody (my sister's name).

15. Torana

Don't stress too much over the name, once your little angel is born and you look at his/her face, you will very quickly find a name that you both like and that suits your baby.

I hope you manage to find a name you are both happy with.

16. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Oh, I love naming babies!

For a girl, since you already like Max for a boy:
    Cathryn, Noelle, Lila, Elizabeth, Mae, Rachel, Iris, Violette, Sophia, Irelyn, Alaina, and my personal favorite Vivienne. Some more modern names Finley, Isla, Madison, Kinslee, Annalee, basically if you want a popular name nowdays pick one and add "lee" to the end. haha! We had Autumn Cecelia picked if our son had been a girl. We were gonna call her Fall for short. (j/k)

17. Destin

Destin New Member

Whatever you do, don't name him or her something ridiculous or weird.
    My name is the same as my screen name, Destin. It is constantly being confused with Dustin or being misspelt: Distin, Desten, Destub.
    There is no comfort in knowing that this misspelling and constantly needing to spell out both my first and last name every time someone wants to write it down will continue for the rest of my life.
    On the bright side, occasionally people have an observant comment like, "Oh! That's different(weird, new, etc...)" or "Oh! How did you get that name?"
    Well here's a surprise, dummy. I got the name from my mother, where did you get yours?

So, although it's fun and interesting for the first few years to have a different name, I would say try to pick something relatively well known or easy to spell.

You could do what we do with our family pets, just name them after one of their most common traits. Spitup Johnson or Stinky Jones would be pretty cool. It would save the kids in the schoolyard having to think up nicknames too.

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My daughter's name is Melody. It was inevitable, because of how she reacted to music in utero. If her mother turned on music, Melody always stopped kicking and twisting around, and listened.

At about 8 years old, she played piano at her mother's wedding to her stepdad. She never had any lessons, and couldn't read music. She played it by ear. She reads music somewhat now (self taught), and has performed some beautiful improv pieces. And you should hear her sing!

As Torana said, sometimes the name chooses itself.

19. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Phoebe, Carina, Chloe, Connie, Ruby, Katherine, Lauren...

Aaron, Alex, Adam, Sam, Stuart, Joseph, Jacob...

20. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I really wanted to name our baby girl (1 month old now yay!) 'Piper', but we went with Gracie instead. Also on top of the list was Janelle.

If she was a boy we were undecided. We really wanted to go with 'Benjamin' but my last name is properly pronounced 'gAy' so his name would sound like 'Bengay' the geriatric cream... we decided against it.

Also on the boy list was Sawyer, but my wife and I disagreed on how to properly pronounce it. She (and she's the only person I've ever met who does this) pronounces it literally: 'SAW-yer'. While I and the rest of America drop the W and say 'SOY-er'.

Good thing she was a girl :p

21. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That's really cool!

And another name suggestion (I think someone else might have already suggested it, but I like it) is Grace. Simple, pretty.

22. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I have always liked the names from the classics...so how about

Nausicaa or Aricia for a lass, and Ilius or Pallas for a lad, a bit odd I suppose but unique.

23. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I think the names you were considering are fine. However, they are both short forms of longer names. Max can stand alone or be short form for Maxim, Maximillion, etc. Belle is a lovely name and means beauty..but can also be short for Isabel or Isabella. If you give a longer name and call the baby by short form...when the kid grows up, he/she can choose which form they want for their identity. My dad wanted to name me Jenny...just Jenny...but mom insisted on the full form Jennifer. I stopped going by Jenny when I was 13. I like names that give the child the option of picking their own version/nickname. I think it helps establish identity.

24. browneyes106

browneyes106 New Member

I think Max and Belle are great choice for names.

25. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

I know a lot of people called Elizabeth, some go by Beth, or Eliza, or Elizabeth (note that Eliza has a long i sound). Eliza's my favorite, for a girl, probably, and then I've always like Sam(muel), and Paul for boys.

EDIT: I personally agree with Carmina. For example, my parents named me Gregor (o_O), but I go by Greg. It's ultimately your choice, though!

DOUBLE EDIT: for more girl names, Summer is one I've always like, as well as Kathleen (again, can be shortened to Kate or Katie.)