1. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

A kind of fantasy character...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JetMasta, Dec 3, 2010.

I just wanna know if this kind of fantasy character, works...

A bit of background.
    Giants: Are big and stupid, however, they has hyper regerating. eg their wounds heal quick.

Gnome's: Are small, creepy and insanely smart, and they can create illusions and they have some phycic abilities.

Now. Some scientist desides he wants to do some spliceing with the giants and the gnome's DNA. As a result the scientist creates a half gnome/half giant. I know what your thinking "so he is normal size rite, teehee"

Well yes and no. The result is, a person roughly 5ft tall. Ok here's the thing tho, he can 'tap' into the two half's. So the more he rely's on his strength-the bigger and dummer he gets. The more he rely's on his wits and illusions- the more gnome like he gets.

Does this make sence?

P.s I apologise for the spelling errors, its like 3am for me XD

2. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

It all depends on what sort of story you throw him in. It's obviously not the norm, and that may or may not sit well with seasoned fantasy readers. You'll just have to flesh him out so to speak and write him a story...

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

It is a fantasy - use your imagination and write him believable.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Hmm, there is that old song by Loverboy that clearly stated, "Gnome and giant genes just won't splice..." (Or was it a pig and an elephant.)

Just write want you want and make it work.

5. Klogg

Klogg New Member

I think this would be a perfectly acceptable fantasy character. Interesting even.

6. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

Sounds like a cool premise. I give it thumbs up.

7. Donal

Donal New Member

My only conern is a bit of a genre mix from DNA and Scientists and yet also Gnomes and Giants. Is it magic that allows the gnomes to create illusions and giants to heal their bodies. However the concept of a half breed who can tap into the abilities of both sounds interesting.

One other thing that struck me. He becomes gnome like by using his wits but using his healing powers make him witless. Does that mean if he regularly uses his giant-like powers he gets stupid. And to become gnome like he needs to use his brains. He could be stuck quite easily like a giant forever.

8. Celia.

Celia. New Member

agreed

9. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I don't really know that you have a character yet. Finding one or more may help you get started.

Tell me about the scientist. As you describe him, he's just a generic tabla rosa. If he's important to the particular story you want to tell, then fill in some of the blanks for us. Why did he become a scientist? Why did he decide to make this creation? Did others know of his dream - if so, were they dismissive, did some condemn him, were others supportive? Same questions for when he did create his creature.

Tell me about one in particular of these creatures. What are its earliest memories? What does it think/feel? Does it have goals and dreams?

Fill in the blanks.

Good luck.

-Frank

10. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Thanks guys :D
    I'm glad that you think this sort of character, works.
    I just need to take care when writing him.

As for the scientist, he isnt really in the story. As of yet anyways (he comes into it later). The Gnome/Giant is the MC of my story, I am verry keen on this character. I just dont have a name for him yet :(

11. Donal

Donal New Member

Is he a one off creation like Frankensteins Monster or are these gnome/giants a new breed.

12. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Well, the scientist has tryed to create others, but they all turned out wrong. But when my MC turns out to be fine, the scientist begins to wounder what he has done. So the scientist helps my MC escape from the facility.

13. Donal

Donal New Member

Can I ask what type of storyline you would have. Is it like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Frankenstein etc where the public show hatred towards an ugly looking creature or is this scientist, facility, gnome/giant thing merely background info.

14. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Its nothing like that, to a normal person the MC looks and acts like an average humen. See after the scientist helps the MC escape, the MC seeks revenge on the government that created him. So he leads a rebel force to try and destroy him. However, it fails and almost everyone is dies from it. But my MC manages to survive. The story itself is based 50-100 years later. (the MC would be alive still beacuse of the hyper regen thing)

15. Donal

Donal New Member

See this potential problem I outlined here. Is this something you have considered. If he uses his healing power he gets stupid but to tap into his magical gnome powers he needs to use his brains (which he will have lost by healing himself).

16. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Yea I have thought about that quite a bit. The character himself is always thinking about, somthing. He becomes a sort of enginer, taking up random projects as he see's fit. So while the giants regen is in the background keeping him alive, he is keeping in touch with his gnome side by constantly working on some enginering project.

17. Donal

Donal New Member

Also how effective is science in this and can magic overcome it?

18. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

The only real science in this is, the technology. The humens havent been in this world for long, and all they know is science. So once they find out about magic, the science becomes about harnessing it and using it against the rest of the world. 'To destroy the world and build it anew, for humens only' This is the primary goal of my main bad guys called the 40th order.

19. Donal

Donal New Member

Ok so am I to take it this is the plot:

The giants and gnomes are two separate races who are both being extreminated by the humans. They both have their separate magical powers neither of which alone is enough to combat the humans (who seem a little bit like Hitlers Ayrian Third Reich in its outlook). This main character is able to tap into both sets of magic and uses this to fight the humans.

20. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Kinda, add in my own version of mages, elves, dark elves, yeti, dwarves and a new race named orca. XD

21. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

"...the MC seeks revenge on the government that created him...."

Hmm - this has me thinking. Why is your MC upset at having been created? If anything, shouldn't there be some thankfulness. A few possibilities that have come to mind (not mutually exclusive):

MC is self-hating. (why)
    MC became radicalized. (how, by who)
    Scientist was father figure and was wronged by gvmt. (how)

The answer to this question can create some depth to your character and also provide a few plot elements.

-Frank

22. Donal

Donal New Member

I do hope that Orca are differnet enough from the Orcs in Lord of the Rings.

23. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Well, the Orcs in LotR were land creatures, and the Orca is a type of whale...

1 person likes this.
  24. Donal

Donal New Member

Yes I know that (seen Free Willy a few times) but he said Orca was name of the race, not that they were whales. I've seen a fair few fantasy extracts on this site feature the Orcs as a race without being in any way fanfiction. Aside from Tolkien Ive never heard of it used. Anyway it may be a different race.

25. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Well the MC has nothing against humens or his creators, he wants to stop the 40th from destroying everything else. At the begining of the story, gnomes and giants have been wiped out. No one really knows how, I might fill this part in later. The MC then use's him self as a 'lightning' rod to bring others to his cause, which i stated before. When that fails, he goes into hiding. That is until he finds out that the 40th order are hunting him, for reasons you find out later. XD

Btw i have never seen the orca from lotr, so i wouldnt kno.