1. Yoish

Yoish New Member

Having a hard time with the build-up

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Yoish, Dec 31, 2009.

I have a great story running through my head, but I am having some trouble.

I already wrote the beginning, which I am quite pleased with, and the end, which I love. The problem is that I can't seem to get the bridge between them right. I have tried and retried a number of times, and it's not coming out the way I want it.

Any advice?

(In retrospect, I shouldn't have written the ending first, but it just kinda came to me, and it was too good not to write down...)

2. m5roberts

m5roberts Member

Have you tried doing a free-write? I don't mean starting where you left off and trying to continue to see where it goes - what I mean is just write for 10 to 20 minutes about anything story related that comes to your mind. Maybe some scenes that you would like to see but don't necessarily know how they would fit (don't write the scenes, just write what you'd want to write about).

You could work on deciding what you'd like your characters to experience (physically, emotionally) or invent a new character entirely (doesn't have to be major) just to see how he or she would affect your story/interact with your characters. It could just be an experiment that you don't keep.