1. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Help me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Baywriter, Jul 16, 2007.

Haven't slept in two days. I keep trying, but I can't, and I have this rule where I won't let myself sleep in the day time. I am so exhausted, but no matter what I do... Ugh. My paranoia keeps getting to me. Not only that, but I'm just on an emotional roller coaster ride. I must have cried for hours the other day, and then again the next day, and the next day.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help with sleeping? I don't know what to do.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Warm milk, decaf coffee, and "War and peace" by Tolstoy. Or Radio 4, if you're in the UK.

Seriously though, if it's getting too bad, go to the doctors with it. I know how bad insomnia can be.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sometimes you can become so overtired that you cannot get settled to sleep. But the cause of the insomnia in the first place is usually stress.

Your best first move is probably as Banzai suggested, a visit to the doctor's office. Prescription sleep aids should not be used on a regular basis, but for a rare attack of insomnia, they may be the best answer. Howver, once you have gotten some sleep, you really must take steps to manage the stress that brought on the attack.

Stress management is too much to go into in a quick post or two, but essentially it involves prioritizing what you have to deal with, what you cannot control anyway, and what just isn't important to deal with at all. It also involves sticking as much as possible to a fixed routine when you are overtaxed, because change is the root cause of stress - even beneficial change, like embarking on a vacation, is a stressor.

Hope you are able to get some sleep soon. Even if you can take a short daytime nap, it will help.

4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Aww, poor dear.

I would say get some Tylenol PM. Take a hot bath, because it will help you relax. Then take the Tylenol, and settle down in your bed and read a book. Hopefully you'll be more inclined to sleep.

Insomnia sucks. After my boyfriend and I broke up, I didn't sleep for three days. Had to take one of my Gran's sleeping pills, which made me really loopy.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

As other said, see a professional who can assist you.

Other than that, maybe consider breaking your rule to not let yourself sleep during the day, if that is the only time you can get a leg up on this thing.

Terry

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Id agree try to sleep during the day

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

If you find anything that works let me know. I have suffered from lack of sleep now for years. I get around 1 to 4 hours a night if I am lucky and I have sought medical advice and tried sleeping tablets.
    Nothing has worked for me as yet and I have tried thousands of different things.

Torana

8. Cogito

Another possibility is meditation, if you have previously practiced it. It probably won't do much for you if you need to learn it for the first time, but it can be a great way to channel tension out of you long enough to get some sleep.

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I've occasionally used over the counter sleep aids. Just a weak sleeping pill, and I only used them for like 4 days and then throw the bottle away.
    Just be careful not to take them for more then a few days, or they could become addictive.
    But try the meditation. Insomnia is usually caused by stress.

10. Bick

Bick New Member

Aw! -big hugs for you- I get that same problem when I get my nightmares. Just drink some warm milk and read a book until you fall asleep. Good luck love. :(

11. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

I went to sleep last night for fourteen hours. Took a sleep aid. It helped a lot. I had to refuse the warm milk. I can't touch the stuff. It's disgusting. >.<

12. Bick

Bick New Member

Aw, really? :p I love the stuff. Makes me feel like a child again!

Glad you got rest love! -big hugs-

13. Cogito

That's great news, Baywriter!

14. csthomas

csthomas New Member

as odd as it sounds...

The other day I was so tired that I kept yawning while trying to go to sleep. Everytime I would start to drift off, I would yawn again and it would "break the spell" and I would be awake again. That went on for a few hours and I was furious. It doesn't compare to your problem at all, but it was a rather strange occurance.

15. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hmmm I missed this thread...

I've had sleeping problems for as long as I can remember now, and in this time i've not slept for more than 5hrs a night (on a good day!) The doctors haven't been able to prescribe anything that works, and I havent found any sure fire way of solving the problem. Usually I wake up constantly through the night or just can't fall asleep, we think its because of the fact that I used to get really bad nightmares... but now they've gone away and I still can't sleep because of some sort of psychological effect... bleh.

Usually it helps if i'm less stressed... but 5 hrs is still pretty much the max.

16. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

A healthy diet can actually give you a better night sleep,or so I hear, either way it wouldnt hurt to try that.

17. Cogito

Physical exercise can also help, and has the side benefit of improving your ability to handle stress. Just don't try to do it immediately before going to bed.

18. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Is it fair to say nightmares could also be brought on by a lack of sleep? After all, the mind is vulernable and is restless, so would you not be more prone to nightmares?