1. Aurora Bell

Aurora Bell New Member

Frome a quiet little place i hate! i hope to move

Favorate quotes......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aurora Bell, Jul 26, 2007.

anyone and every one add your favorate quotes for some reason i am obsessed with them.........

"nothing that lives is without fear. it is a gift against recklessness, a servant against complacency in the face of danger. But like all servents it makes a bad master.
    Fear is a small flame in the belly to warmyou in the coldness of conflict, let loose, it becomes an inferno within the walls which no fortress can withstand"

"if there is one sound that follows the march of humanity, it is the scream"

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Oooh, I have loads, most of them humorous ones :p

[Upon hearing that Mike Reid did a ten minute political rap at the last conservative conference] "How are they ever going to get back into office? Aren't they trying? Is it match-fixing? Is someone bribing them to be terrible at politics? Mike Reid?! Ten minutes?! Rapping?! What the **** is that?! The democracy, in this country... The reason Tony Blair can start wars without asking people is because there's no opposition! It's their fault! It's Mike Reid's fault! The deaths of our servicemen are on his conscience!" - David Mitchell

"Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3" - Boris Johnson (MP for Henley-on-Thames)

"I suppose I could riff a list of things that I care as little about as our last week together. Let me see... low carb diets, Michael Moore, the Republican National Convention, Kabbalah and all Kabbalah-related products, Hi-Def TV, the Bush daughters, wireless hotspots, the OC, the UN, recycling, getting Punk'd, Danny Gans, the Latin Grammys, the real Grammys, Jeff that Wiggle that sleeps too darn much, the Yankees' payroll, all the red states, all the blue states, every hybrid car, every talk show host, everything on the planet, everything in the solar system, everything, everything, everything, everything, everything, everything, every-everything that exists, past, present, and future, in all discovered and undiscovered dimensions! [pause] Oh, and Hugh Jackman." - Dr. Perry Cox (From Scrubs)

A bit lengthy, but they will do for now.

3. dushechka

dushechka New Member

=]

I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us. - Franz Kafka

No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head. - Terry Josephson

I write differently from what I speak, I speak differently from what I think, I think differently from the way I ought to think, and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness. – Kafka

Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless. - Leo Tolstoy

4. Aurora Bell

Aurora Bell New Member

wound and stab is good but i get enough of that here there shouting now oh well thats why ear plugs were invented:)

5. Aurora Bell

Aurora Bell New Member

go on then what do you make of this... a quote from the bible

" my god my god why hast thou forsaken me, why are thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring. the assembaly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and feat. i may tell all my boans: they look and stare upon me"

a good one while talking of jesus also talkes of all peoples suffering

6. Banzai

Psalm 22, right? A good quote :)

"To all things a season, and a time for every purpose under the heavens" - Ecclesiastes 3:1

7. Aurora Bell

Aurora Bell New Member

a good quote possibly one to live by but you missed some of it i cannot remember it in the right order but its something like ths

.... "a time to plant a time to harvest, a time to heal a time to kill..." etc very beautiful quote but it condones killing in certian circumstances, i know a few people who agree with this, my self included, but others who do not

8. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Isaiah 43:2 (NASV) - When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.

My favourite verse. : )

9. Aurora Bell

Aurora Bell New Member

ohhhh you christian? ive only ever skimmed the bible

10. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Me? Oh, I suppose. But not in the whole religious sense. That sounds like a paradox..

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

The following is the single best quote ever from the single best book ever (At my current opinion, anyway =P), American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. (The person doing the quote, by the way, is a girl named Sam.)

"I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and Marilyn Monroe and the Beatles and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen — I believe that people are perfectible, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkledy lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women. I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo Woman is going to come back and kick everyone's ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state. I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste. I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we'll all be wiped out by the common cold like the Martians in War of the Worlds. I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman. I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumblebee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself. I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck. I believe that anyone who says that sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too. I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system. I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

12. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

just a few of my favourite ones :)

"The rarer action is
    In virtue than in vengeance"
    William Shakespeare
    The Tempest

"I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for their religion - I have shudder'd at it. I shudder no more. I could be martyr'd for my religion Love is my religion And I could die for that. I could die for you."

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

"just because someone doesn't love you with all you want them to, doesn't mean that they don't love you with all they've got."

" To the world you may be one person,
    but to one person you may be the world"

13. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

A Favourite Quote of mine from the film Cool Hand Luke.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Judge Harry Stone (from Night Court):
    "I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

My all time favourite quote is from Ned Kelly.....

"Such is life!" I love that quote and use it frequently.

16. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Kellys Heroes

Odd Ball
    "Well see the bridge is there I told you we could cross it"
    German planes come across and blow the bridge up.
    Tank driver.
    "Oh great so now what do we cross we can't drive on water."
    Odd Ball.
    "Always with the bad vibes."

17. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I really like the quote that I have for a signature.
    It's one of the best quotes about courage I've ever heard.

18. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

"Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never get hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, Live like it's heaven on earth, And speak from the heart to be heard."

19. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

"I will not follow where the path may lead but I will go where there is no path and I will leave a trail."
    Written by Muriel Strode

20. Sayso

Sayso New Member

My favourite is by Roger Miller 'Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.'
    Me? I walk in the rain.

21. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Well I like and believe in my quote: Sanity is highly over-rated.

I also tend to say that Life's a bitch but you die trying

build a bridge and get over it,

and I stole this from Buffy the Vamprie Slayer, but think it's true,

'The hardest thing to do in this world is to live in it'

22. Banzai