Tags:
  1. MadameDaae

MadameDaae New Member

Flashback person help

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MadameDaae, May 26, 2008.

In my proluge(I'm writing my book in first person), my girl is recalling when her mother and her are walking down the street and her mother is shot, while they'e in London(in 1798). My girls mother is half French and half Gypsy- she is describe as tan, eyes as puple as the purple dahilia, hair the color of a raven's wing, and high, unpronunced cheekbones. Her father is tall, totally English, cold Slate Blue eyes, choclate hair, and fair skin. I don't know what to describe my girl as, she is also upper class. I know I should combine them thougher, but which ones? Could somebody please let me know which ones, or how to know which one to combine?:confused:
    THANKS!

2. Al B

Al B New Member

If you've already described both parents, then you could use that to your advantage and let the reader create her for themselves by saying that 'she combined the best features of both her parents'. People will have differing views on what the best features are, but each reader will choose his or her idea of what those best features are, thus you will have had the reader do some of your work for you (never a bad thing, as it includes them in the tale), and they will automatically find your character appealing.

Al

3. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I think it's good to let your reader have a little imagination when it comes to creating a mental picture of the character. In the story I'm currently working on, I never specifically describe the main character. I've worked in little bits of information when they were appropriate - the wind blows her dirty blond hair in her face, she has to stand on her tip-toes to kiss her boyfriend, her hazel eyes get a bit darker when she's angry...I have a very vivid image of her in my head, but my readers may get a different image. That's perfectly okay with me!

If you've already described the parents in detail, then I agree with Al. Say she has the best of their characteristics and leave it at that. Readers are very good at creating images in their heads!