Tags:
  1. Mafuane

Mafuane New Member

Help! Name for a Prince

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Mafuane, May 6, 2010.

I'm having real trouble trying to find a decent name for my main character, he is a prince, his personality is one of high aristocracy, he is always polite, well-mannered and has his "public" face on at all times. He is also short-statured and girly looking in the face, a sort of "page boy" archetype.

I really can't find a decent name, the context of the novel is a sort of sci-fi fantasy so I would like a name that isn't too common in our own world. I first came up with the name "Vivian" which is a french unisex name, but I thought it would be just a tad TOO girly, other ideas were Marin, Avis and Eudes.

Any help?

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

All of these names are similar to feminine names, to me:
    Marianne, Ava, and Eunice!
    The name you choose will reflect the culture of the fantasy world--I don't know what that is.
    I've seen a lot of classical Latin-style names like 'Hector' and medieval-style names in fantasy novels. You can think of middle-European names like 'Olgerd' or Welsh or Scandinavian names if you want something different, perhaps. Or you can modify them.

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

I'd suggest Julian.

It just fits the description for me. :)

4. Eternity

Eternity New Member

How about making a name up, instead of using an already existing one up? Two male names I have created for my fantasy novel:
    Theine (sounds a bit noble and war-like for your character, IMO)
    Filbert
    Karden
    Or he could be ... Oliver, Jorden, Lando, Roderic, Arne, Eutha, Kyran, or Shannon.

5. Eternity

Eternity New Member

Julian doesn't sound right... Jules does though.

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Julian is a patrician name, but most 'Jules' I have known have been girls or public (private to you lot in the US) schoolboys with a hairstyle like Hugh Grant used to have...

7. Reis

Reis New Member

Since it's around sci-fi fantasy, my imagination is leaning towards Star Wars as a reference.

That aside, royalty names IMO, usually have something so long that's it's a mouthful and that alone speaks blatant regal like 'Rex Magnus Charleston Arguile the Third'. English/British names are common but if you want something more exotic, how about mixing other European names? (Anything besides UK or of American origin)

8. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

In most of the Sci-fi fantasy pieces that I read, the names have an other worldly twist to them. After all you wouldn't call an alien from mars Phil. So keep that in mind when choosing names.

Another thing that will influence the name of your character is their heritage, the time period, and the class they're born into. If he's a scottish royal (just using this as an example) then he wouldn't have a chinese name, and so on and so forth.

If you can't find a name that suits your character's personality/looks, and also the above section that I posted (heritage, time period, and class) then play around with the names you do like and create your own. Not every character has to have a set human name that is familiar to your readers.

9. Mafuane

Mafuane New Member

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help, I think i'll go halfway between Jules and Julian and call him Julious, after Dr Hibbert XD ha ha, I kid I kid.

10. bahloo

bahloo New Member

hmmmm.... I've got a "prince" character in a book I'm trying to write, but he doesn't possess a name either. Interesting thread. As for the sci-fi, I'd try something like:

Eldras
    Quor
    Sembol

I'm not sure. Whenever I'm thinking up names for sci-fi, I usually just try a bunch of things out and see if I like them... Good luck!