1. pixierocker

pixierocker New Member

Help Needed.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by pixierocker, Mar 4, 2009.

Hi. I am a 19 year old casual writer who write for fun but never completes the sorties I write but lately I have had the most amazing idea that i have been writing up and have thought about it so much that I have had to find help and advice.

My story is about three vampire families who are all alike in every way. The only things that could tear them apart is an amulet and a secret and in the end they all end up feuding and one family is sucessfull. The only problem i have with it is finding a title and i was wondering if anyone on here could help me.

Any advice and help will be very much appreciated.

Jess.

2. Kas

Kas Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about the title, Jess...

Is this a short story? Are you nearly finished writing or only beginning? The title would be the thing I worry about last. And without reading the story I don't think it's possible to title it properly. Perhaps you'll post this in the review room after you have done your two compulsory reviews. Though, as Cogito will say, it's worth taking the time to look around and read other critiques before posting your own work.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your project. Sounds like fun.:)

3. writing4me

writing4me Member

Just write the story and then worry about the title. You might find that when you come to completing the story you'll come up with a title yourself.

CJ

4. iolair

iolair Active Member

I'm 52000 words into my novel and still don't know the title ... don't worry about it!

"The amulet and the secret"
    "Families of blood"
    "Blood Feud"

5. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

The real problem I see here is "families that are all alike" That never happens, no matter how similar they are, and even if it did, it would be boring. Make them unique, give them different personalities and ways of getting that amulet.

6. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

The title isn't important right now because you probably don't have the entire 'feel' of the story down yet. Wait until you're done and then reevaluate the story and come up with a title that you think reflects the general feel of the best or most important aspect of the story. That's how I'd do it.

LOL Blood Feud.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sometimes a title will come to you early in the writing process. Even if it does, keep an open mind to change the itle at any time, up to te point you're ready to ship the manuscript to a publisher.

The point is, the title is really a finishing touch. Write the story, revise it a few times, and without a doubt you'll come up with a decent title by then. Don't worruy about it now, not even a little.

8. CharlieVer

CharlieVer New Member Contributor

I agree with Cognito on the title.

I agree with Rei on the "families all alike in every way."

(I can't even imagine what that would be like... I've never known two families, or two individuals for that matter, who were alike!)

Is having alike-families a vampire thing? It's certainly not a human thing.

I'm even curious about the "vampire families," are these actual families (in the human sense) or are they more like covens of unrelated vampires living as a family?

Good luck though!
    Charlie

9. traffic101

traffic101 Member

Hi, I never come up with the title till I am done the book. You may have a title in the beginning, but by the time you are done, the story may have changed or something. Anyhoo it sounds interesting. I would just get started writing and go from there.

Good luck!

10. TyroScribe

TyroScribe Member

I agree with most of the people here. Worry about the title later on. The hardest and most enjoyable part is writing the meat of the story anyway. Once you've written the whole story, you'll understand the emotions and plot better. I think that's the only way to obtain a truly suitable title.

In addition, it's usually my policy to not even name my chapters. I just hit the enter button to start a new page, type in "Chapter 'insert number here'" and go to town. :p

Have fun and by the way, vampires rock!