1. StudentWriter

StudentWriter New Member

What do you think is a good name for a Scrooge-like character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by StudentWriter, Nov 10, 2011.

I'm having trouble thinking of a male name (first and last) that would suit my bitter, selfish, antisocial protagonist

2. Lisa-Marie Dutt

Lisa-Marie Dutt New Member

I often find myself browsing online baby name sites or name generators when stuck like this. Perhaps a name like Seth would work?

3. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

I use baby-name websites ALL THE TIME. I used to use a great site called 20000names.com but I've noticed that it's getting a little virus-ey.

I would give him an old fuddy duddy English name, like Rutheford or something hoity toity like that.

4. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

Newt Gingrich? :p

Um... sorry... couldn't resist. Whatever your politics (and you can probably guess mine), the name itself just sounds so, well, Scrooge meets the Grinch?

Anyway. I like Seelifein69's suggestion of Rutherford. Or maybe Simon? Simon Finster? Simon Mead? I don't think it needs to be too overtly sinister. After awhile the name itself will be transformed by the character and take on whatever evil characteristics you care to bestow. Even an upstanding sort of name like Dave Smith can become evil on the shoulders of an evil character.

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Kurt Parsons
    Ken Scrimper
    Nigel Pincher

6. tjc88

tjc88 New Member

7. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Yeah. I was about to post the same link: http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

I suck at creating names for people so literally I just go to that website, pick an "ethnicity" and just keep clicking generate until I find something that fits.

8. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I find villain names sound "villainous" when they include sharp or edgy sounds, like G or K or CH, maybe like Chuck McGlinker, something that just sounds annoying or abrasive. The problem is you run the risk of annoying your reader if the reader has to read a name that sounds ugly to his or her mind's ear.

A thing to think about is if Scrooge is public domain. If so, hey, you could use that name and reference that Scrooge is actually a Scrooge in the story. If it isn't public domain, I'd not risk it: no one can copyright a name (like Scrooge), but you could get in trouble if you have a Scrooge who is way too similar to a certain Dickins character.

9. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

You can 'generate' your own names. Just think of synonyms and variations on the idea of Scrooge-like, 'parsimonious' 'niggardly' etc or go for sounds that are abrasive, like lostinwebspace suggests. I think 'Scrooge' can't be used really, since it just calls to mind the Dickens character--but hey, before Dickens what did we call someone who was Scrooge-like?

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

there wasn't one before Dickens I don't think.

11. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

When I think "Scrooge-like," I think of an older English gentleman. (Or maybe I'm just influenced by the Muppets Christmas Carol.) So a name that would sound English... Edward something? Edward McGuller?

12. T1p2

T1p2 New Member

Generally such a person would be called a "Miser". One such example is John Elwes or "Elwes the Miser". In fact he is believed to have been the inspiration for the character of "Ebenezer Scrooge" in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

That said I'll get back to the subject of names.

Andrew Harper
    Christoper Martelle
    Maximilian Landsteiner
    Lord Percival Bartholomew Robinson Esq. III

13. ic1978

ic1978 New Member

Augustus Strain

Mandolin Urwin

Helmut Vanderberg

Aristoph Muddsuckle

Harland Showorth

Silas Stoud

Bernie Madoff

14. Bookslug

Bookslug New Member

Surrel Stinge

Milas Sarner (joke)

15. Colin Ruggles

Colin Ruggles New Member

In order to find a name for this scrooge like gentleman, you have to have an age, ethnicity and character trait in mind.

Tf he is from victorian times like the Dickensian character then a Victorian name would be appropriate.

There is so much to think about when naming someone who is to be believable.

Ernest Trubshaw
    Joshua Grubstrike

Something like this is both imaginative and believable. it also gives a vision in the mind as to who this person may be.

Just go with your heart and good luck.

colin