1. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Help with a fantasy world?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Flashfire07, Oct 31, 2011.

Lately I've decided to write some unusual fantasy stories. I've encountered abuse on other sites when asking for help with the general setting so I'm hoping that this community will prove to be more... friendly at least. So, the specific part I'm currently working on is a large fungus forest. The main sentient inhabitant area species of fungus who form bodies out of soil, corpses, whatever is laying around. They take humanoid form as they don't like to alarm the other races by appearing too alien. I'm trying to think about what other creatures wold share their environment. I'm kind of stuck for ideas right now so any help is appreciated.

2. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

That sounds pretty cor. Must be terribly awkward when the fungi use a fresher corpse, and it is recognized.

As for other creatures, perhaps their predators. A giant bird that preys on them, the equivalent of a dragon. Giant insects, maybe?

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Lots and lots of insects, regardless of size. Same for worms, given how often the soil must be moved and turned.
    I'd have to disagree with Quezacotl and say that giant birds probably wouldn't live in that sort of environment.

To me, it gives me the image of something like a rain forest, so there'd likely be fish in any larger, permanent pools of water. Maybe piranhas.
    If you want to know about other FANTASY creatures, maybe have little hobgoblins underneath the shorter, wider mushrooms? Things like that. Maybe piranhas.

4. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

A mushroom forest sounds very interesting, in fact I have had similar idea myself, but that's as far it went, just an idea.
    Lichen are similar to fungi.
    I'm not entirely sure but I think that fungi need a lot of moisture to grow. There are other organisms that have similar requirements.
    Why not create your own creatures? If you have trouble making one that is entirely new then take two or more existing ones and combine them.

5. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

What race are the corpses that the fungi use? Are they high-functioning animals that the fungi impersonate, or are they just 'lower' creatures? Generally speaking, ecosystems have a food chain, so you need to decide where the fungi sit in that chain. Are they the top creature? If not, who (or what) is above them?

As cruciFICTION mentioned, insects of some description are pretty much obligatory if you want an ecosystem. And being from Australia, I'm sure he's familiar with the many and varied species of insects that thrive there(!) and make it such a diverse ecosystem in itself.

6. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

Why not do some research on where a lot of Fungi grow and research what creatures live in those environments. Maybe learn what animals eat Fungi and add them int your forest. As Allan Paas said, try creating your own creatures to live there. I'd definally recomend doing some research though, if you haven't alread do so. Research is always a good idea and it can help :D

7. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Smurfs? tee hehe Just kidding.

I like the insect idea and Pink-Angel's idea made me think of giant pigs or boars (since they eat truffles).

The other idea that came to mind was not a creature but the thought that this mushroom forest could be very deadly in certain areas if say the mushrooms were brushed up against and gave off a spore that was deadly to breath or made you lose you mind or see things that aren't really there or even made you break out like poisin ivy. Fun idea, Success.

Oh and my writing friends and I have a joke about writers' forums in general. If someone is friendly we'll look at each other and say, "They must not belong to a writers' forum, way too nice." ;)

8. cruciFICTION

Holy crap, that sounds awesome.

In real life, there are several species of fungus that spread their spores and seeds to insects. Each specific species of fungus draws a specific species of insect to it. The insect ingests the spore/seed and it grows inside the insect. Eventually, the fungus grows through the insects body, it lands on a tree or on the ground and dies, and the fungus prospers.
    Fungi are extremely dangerous. I suggest finding the episode of David Attenborough's Planet Earth that has that stuff (it's where I learned it from) and watch that segment. It's amazing.

9. cruciFICTION

Holy crap, that sounds awesome.

In real life, there are several species of fungus that spread their spores and seeds to insects. Each specific species of fungus draws a specific species of insect to it. The insect ingests the spore/seed and it grows inside the insect. Eventually, the fungus grows through the insects body, it lands on a tree or on the ground and dies, and the fungus prospers.
    Fungi are extremely dangerous. I suggest finding the episode of David Attenborough's Planet Earth that has that stuff (it's where I learned it from) and watch that segment. It's amazing.

10. Flashfire07

Yes, like the one that takes root in the ant and makes it climb as high as possible before bursting through it's head to spread the spores all over again, I think I might just scale it up a bit for my setting, maybe have a predatory fungus creature that reproduces in that manner.

That's a thought, I hadn't considered that yet. I was too wrapped up in monsters and critters to think about the environment itself as a hazard. Hmmmm... idea! A thin, hanging species that secretes a powerful acid to help break down the insects it relies on for nutrition. The main risk from this fungus is walking into it and being entangled and dissolved. Hallucenogenic mushrooms.... well how about creatures who have encountered them and lurk around them because they enjoy the overall effects of the spores on their minds.

Mostly humanoid, they think that the other races will be less alarmed if they see a recognizable specie rather than an amalgam of soil, fungus and whatever happens to be laying around.Of course, people are actually less afraid of the amalgam form than the reanimated corpse. They're near the top of the food chain but I'm not having an easy time thinking of waht would eat them.

11. Protar

Protar Active Member

Perhaps play around with bio-luminescence. I know certain series overuse it, naming no names but it can be a very useful tool especially in a dark forest. One idea I had for a creature was a small fish-like alien which dissolved it's prey using enzymes and then absorbed the dissolved nutrients through its skin.

12. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

These are great ideas. I'd love to brain storm with you about a book.

Your fish idea made me think of fish that live in caves because it is dark many of them are clear, you can see right through them. Also the idea of dissolving their prey's insides and sucking it out is very doable. There are several species of spiders that do exactly what you discribed but having fish do it would be even better.

Oh and wouldn't it be fun if you could eat certain kinds of mushrooms and then you would glow.

13. cruciFICTION

... I'm pretty sure this is already possible. *Stare.*

14. Protar

Protar Active Member

Thanks very much :) feel free to message me.

15. Flashfire07

Ok, does anyone else have trouble posting? I swear I replied to this earlier. Anyway, I've been thinking about carnivourous fungus. They could use their spores to suffocate prey, thus providing fertilizer and a place for the next batch to grow. Or pheromones to attract insects which are then killed with a venom, paralytic or something more exotic.