1. Feivel

Feivel New Member

Creating a scandal/conspiracy

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Feivel, Jul 30, 2014.

My story centres around a character investigated a conspiracy that, as it turns out, goes right to the top. The scandal is to do with banks, inspired by the Libor manipulation and everything that's happened recently, but beyond that I haven't really developed this. I feel like I know enough that I could make one convincing, but I don't really know where to start with actually creating a conspiracy from scratch.

As the character is only investigating it and so will only be scheming round the edges it's not necessarily important for the actual story writing, but I would like to plot one out to make sure it makes sense and make it more believable. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any pointers about where to start? Thanks.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Assuming that the discovery of the details of the conspiracy is central to the story, you will have to give the reader an understanding of the salient points. As the writer, though, you need to have a thorough understanding of it. You can't expect the reader to fill in the blanks of the conspiracy that you either made up or borrowed from the headlines (no shame in either).

My advice would be to research the daylights out of it.

I would be glad to tell you the intimate details of my own conspiracy, but a gag order was a key part of my plea agreement. :whistle:

jazzabel and GingerCoffee like this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Research.

And there are no shortages of banking conspiracies to choose from. I think manipulating the Libor rate would be a simpler conspiracy than getting into the whole 'derivatives' thing.

If you want some passive research:
    Enron, the Smartest Guys in the Room

Frontline: The Untouchables

Inside Job

4. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I'd start with what the conspiracy is. WHAT is being hidden or being done? After that, build a wall around it. HOW is it being covered up? Next, who is surrounding the conspiracy? WHO is guarding it and suppressing any investigators (if it's that kind of conspiracy). WHEN will it be revealed (if it all)? Is it a cover up for a meteor coming down on Earth and the government wants to suppress panic? Well, when are they telling the populace (I know that's not what yours is but I'll just toss this part out there)?
    Lastly, bury it in sand. Let the tallest spires of the castle you've just built pop out of the sand for your character to discover.

And of course, research. Let it be realistic (No, aliens can't be the bankers who invest in an intergalactic war that holds the fate of the universe in the balance so that the United States can be pulled out of the recession*), but scary as all conspiracies tend to be.

* I think I might just give that silly idea I just made a try :D

5. Feivel

Feivel New Member

Thanks for the tips guys, this is very useful. I will read those sites that you have posted and think about those questions. I've spent the evening writing out questions about it and answering them, so I have more of an idea than I did before! Ulramore thanks for those questions, which I'll also try to answer. Aliens might ruin the realism that I'm trying to aim for, but you never know!

Ulramar likes this.
  6. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I kinda pulled that idea out of no where but now I'm thinking I could make that really cool :D If you don't take it I will.

Feivel likes this.
  7. TLK

TLK Active Member

I assume this Libor is an American Bank? I've never heard of it.

But, as GingerCoffee said, there's no shortages of banking conspiracies. Many people blame the bankers for the recession we're in here in the UK, and there was some conspiracy (maybe it wasn't quite a conspiracy) about the ex, aptly-named Barclays' Boss, Bob Diamond, that I remember.

Point is, there's probably something, somewhere, in the news that fits your bill. Or, at the very least, is enough to give you ample inspiration for a conspiracy of your own. If you can't think of one, just choose one and write your story with it. You'll find you'll want to change the conspiracy around to fit the needs of your story, but that's good, because you'll end up with a conspiracy that works!

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Er...no. :wtf:

9. Feivel

Feivel New Member

Thanks TLK, Libor is actually a British scandal (London Interbank Offered Rate), about interest rate manipulation that banks like Lloyds and Barclays did. It was very controversial and they're still working out fines!

I think I've worked out a little conspiracy (in no small part down to advice here) which makes sense. No doubt its full of holes which I'll need to patch up later, but I guess that's part of the fun!

10. TLK

TLK Active Member

Damn... I should really watch the news more!

But yeah, like I say, for story-purposes, your conspiracy won't be perfect, in the same way that your plot, characters etc won't be perfect. As you write, you'll get to know your story and will be able to make such improvements in editing.

Good luck! :)

11. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Conspiracies are great, but you need to know your conspiracy IN AND OUT to give us the drip drip that your characters will get, and the readers, until the end. They may piece it together too. Just be careful with evil banking conspiracy research. Lots of pretty nasty theories out there.