1. hughesj

hughesj Member

HELP WITH IDEAS

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hughesj, Jul 12, 2014.

So I have this assignment due for a creative writing class that I'm taking in little over 2 weeks and I am totally stuck.

I need to write the exposition of a novel, with a focus on setting. My problem comes when I really have no idea what to write. So I am asking you all to please just throw some interesting settings at me that I can reasearch and use. I know that this is very uncreative and strange but just a single city or time period or region or war could work.

Thanks anyone,

Jason

2. ComplexRobot

ComplexRobot Member

How about the Edo period of Japan? Y'know, the one with samurais and feudal lords and whatnot.

3. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

What sort of thing interests you? Start with that. Perhaps you could also draw something from your own experience. "Write what you know."

peachalulu likes this.
  4. hughesj

hughesj Member

I really like history. But i don't really know. I usually write YA fiction based in the real world but not very well researched setting because it is usually a fictional school or something. I don't know. I hope some interesting ideas come out of this thread. The Japan one catches my attention and I'm having a look for some story inspiration now

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

History is a very broad field. Do you have a specific time period in mind? Which historical events would you like to write about? Have you read much historical fiction? Which books did you enjoy the most? Those are the first questions that come to mind. Once you start answering those, I think you'll have a better idea of what to write about.

6. hughesj

hughesj Member

I don't really have a favourite period. And as for historical fiction - not really. I have read A Song of Ice and Fire, though. So medieval history. I enjoy learning about it, but I have only recently found my interest in it so I don't know much that would make for interesting reading

7. Davidfrank

Davidfrank New Member

A smart writer should be a Clever Thief while Stealing Inspirations,squeezing out ideas from famous writings.

For example ,I used to use an ipad app named "Novel Idea Master"—just copy contents from masterpieces or from net,the app will auto split the contents ,and generate new ideas for you to select .

I like the method, easy and efficient.