Tags:
  1. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Time jumps.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by fantasy girl, Jan 10, 2010.

I feel like I'm asking so many questions lately. Maybe it is because i have finally committed myself to writing a full length novel, maybe not. I'm not quite sure to be honest.

Right, so the last question I asked was basically how to get over writers block, and after some great advise from some great people I have accomplished it. I manages to write two thousand words after re-reading a great book. Thanks guys.

The question this time, is how do you fill in time jumps? Before I started writing again, I decided to do a chapter description document. when I did this, I realized that I have quite a few time jumps. What is the best way to fill these in? Another sub plot? I'm not quite sure.

I need help. I'm serious about this and would really love to finish it tp the best of my ability.

Help!

Fantasy Girl xx

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I am not sure what you mean by time jumps.

The best way to deal with a time jump, the end of action before the story picks up in the future is to do it either as a new chapter or at least as a scene break within a chapter.

Within the first paragraph or two, provide a clue to update the reader as to the current time frame in events.

A basic example: A guy buys his girlfriend an engagement ring, and tells his buddy that he's going to spring the question on her birthday in June. Then the next scene is the boyfriend helping the girl's mother blow up balloons for the surprise birthday party. The reader should be able to figure out that the story has skipped forward to the birthday.

Hope that helps.

Terry

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you don't have to fill them in, unless the story/plot demands it... just do what terry says above...

you should have been able to figure it out, by just reading good fiction and seeing how it's done...

4. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I've read books that span the time period of years from beginning to end, and others that only span the time period of a couple of days. How you fill in the spaces are up to you, up to how long of a time span you are putting your story. Do you have something happening one month then jumping six months ahead? You don't have to fill in that six month period, you just have to pick up the next chapter six months ahead, and show that you have made that jump. Don't underestimate your reader. This is a common new writer mistake. The average reader has some intelligence, so don't underestimate it, or the reader will be able to tell you are underestimating it.

But, don't let this block you muse. Just write it. Write the scenes and don't worry about the time jumps until you get to the editing process. That is where you will refine what you have written. Don't over think it. Overthing is where overwriting comes in and that in the end shows you're underestimating your reader.

There is a fine line between writing enough and not writing enough and writing too much. You just have to find a balance. But you don't have to find it in your first draft.

5. FragmentEarth

FragmentEarth New Member

one line, fill them in with a single reference somewhere in the first few paragraphs following the jump. and a later nod or two helps as well. =)