Tags:
  1. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

Yet Another Zombie Novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JoeyMystery, Apr 21, 2010.

But I'm hoping to make this one stand out from all other known published work. Please read the following Plot summary and selected notes and tell me what you think!

In the year 2389, zombies have taken over the surface
    of the earth, and the survivors have retreated to the underground
    passes of NATO-commissioned "Underearth". They have
    survived due in part to their preparation and technology.
    However, population is booming and room for living space is
    becoming limited.
    These zombies aren't normal. They grow in intelligence and
    physical growth. Normal armaments have no effect on these
    seemingly mutated super-beings. But the humans have science and
    an annoying will to survive on their sides.
    In the wake of a breakthrough in recent bio-neural technologies,
    normal people are able to wield certain magic-like powers. The
    zombie reign has lasted too long. It is time for humans to take back
    the earth!

Interesting notes:
    -The zombie plague is started in Africa when an AID's-mutation breaks
    out, causing sperm to actually mutate. These mutated sperm actually cause
    a growth at the base of the growing fetus's skull. The one and only birth of
    said mutated fetus actually tore out of its' own mothers womb at the beginning
    of the third tri-mester.
    -The zombies skin can not be penetrated. The skin is almost kevlar-ish in physical
    properties. Being that it can stretch and stretch but never actually tear. A blunt
    force to the base of the skull is actually the only thing that can kill these beings.
    There is a reason behind this, but it's actually a spoiler so I won't cover it in these
    notes.
    -The zombies can feed off of their victims strength and intelligence, mutating nearly
    endlessly. The hero's in the story will sometimes cross zombies over 3 stories tall!
    -The zombies can talk.
    -The magic allows people to manipulate organic material of the earth around them.
    Some people I've talked to don't like the idea of adding this to the story but I feel
    like it will add strategy and diversity to the action sequences of the book.
    -There will be betrayals, plot twists, romance and an epic ending.
    -I will write prequel if this gets published. Though I'm not writing to get published,
    I just want to let as many people as possible enjoy this book. Well written, unique
    zombie fiction is hard to find nowadays and I'm hoping to give zombie-obsessor's like
    me something to croon over.

2. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

Do you have any characters?

When you mentioned that zombies could talk it immediately reminded me of the story of Lot. "...and the Angels saw that the men of Gamora wanted to know them...".

That's just what it reminded me of.

Aren't you concerned that this is just a mental dump? The kind a panting writers come back with scribbled papers and yell "I've put Caiaphas in Fetters"?

Tell me you have scribbled papers?

3. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

I don't follow you.

4. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

Are you implying that I've lost my mind?

5. Mila

Mila New Member

Pah - from insanity comes genius ! Lol
    I've never read a zombie novel but I've seen the films, and yes this sounds different from the films I've seen. Once you start doling out intelligence and stuff, things get interesting. Whose side do you want the readers to be on ? Humans with magic ? And surely if the Z's are intelligent they'd be trying to get hold of the humans' technology - or maybe even have their own. Ooh, yes, so many possibilities.
    Of course it all depends on how you actually write it. I'd certainly be looking for humour, car chases ( or equiv ) romance, like you said.....yeah I'd read it :D

6. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Something about intelligent zombies seems wrong to me, but maybe I'm just set in my ways. Barring that, your idea sounds fine. The only thing I would caution you on is the magic stuff. You can have it in there, but be careful not to make or call it "magic" in the traditional sense. (Like you said, have it be more like powers that come from advanced technology.) It's difficult to mix genres well. If readers think they're reading a straight sci-fi novel and then you suddenly throw in magic, well... be prepared for some negative feedback.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, I can see Mila Jovovich getting first dibs on the script.

I will ask the questions I always ask:

How will your protagonist change or grow through the telling of this story?

How is this change intended to make me feel as the reader?

What do these things tell me about the human condition?

9. s.knight

s.knight Banned

Personally, id drop the whole zombie thing and have the central theme as Evolution. Forget disease, think leading edge science etc.
    Also, you could cover the idea of magick, as this represents people who are mystical by nature. So it could be an allegory of the human condition, the mystics and the empiricists form a dialectic as they struggle to meet the challenge of changed environmental conditions (see Bertrand Russell's essay 'Mysticism and Logic').

The potential is far and wide.

10. Syph

Syph New Member

Joey,

As Cogito says, a concept means nothing. However, your storyline on face value seems much too like a videogame. I made this mistake when I was writing novels.

However, it's the way you write! Not what the concept sounds like, if you can pull it off try it.

Regards,

Syph

11. black-radish

black-radish New Member

Hey Joey!

Sounds great! Have you thought about naming these creatures something other than 'zombies' ? Because when people hear 'zombie', they see the stereotype drooling moaning rotten flesh zombie, and as I read your concept I see you are trying to break the stereotype-zombie (intelligence and speech!) , which is great!
    Naming your creatures differently would immideatly deal with the 'another zombie novel' attitude.

Looks like you worked out the storyline already! I suggest you strart writing it now! :)

Good luck! and happy writing!

~Lola

12. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

Thank you all for the wonderful comments and advice. I do tend to go out with guns blaring when it comes to thinking up plot ideas. All of my considered plots have been completely epic, but you'd be suprised at how well I can blend things. One of my biggest writing influences is Brandon Sanderson if anyone knows who he is. He loves betrayals, plot twists and maintaining a dialogue driven story despite an abundance of action sequences.

But anyways, I have decided to keep the techonology. But I will have the zombiesinvent it before the humans. But I did just realize the possibility of making the theme about evolution. However the conflict clashes with the fact that zombies need human blood to survive. I can either have them win and invent a way to synthesize human blood to complete the evolution cycle, or have the humans win therby declaring the willl of the human race to remain the ultimate being on earth. And there's even more than just this to contemplate and my head is aching from all the possibilities. I think I just need to make a decision and go with it, like some of you suggested. I need to lock myself in a room for a while.

13. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

Well, as soon as I posted the last post. I went to use the bathroom and I thought of a new posibility. I'm now brainstorming and things are looking promising. I'll keep you updated.

14. s.knight

s.knight Banned

Thats why i said drop the zombie thing.
    That way you can design a more sophistacted creature.

Lol
    That makes me sound like a snob.

Anyhow, you sound like you got the creative buzz, keep it going, you'l get there in the end.

15. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

Okay consider this. I'm considering adding the main them of evolution into the mix of this story. Seeing that the original virus strain was started in the sexual organ of the humans. The new species of zombies could actually become the next evolution phase of the human being. But with this, I want the scientist to betray the humans to ensure the reign of the new species. But the main theme of the book is going to be anti-evolution claiming that humans cannot evolve anymore because they are the ultimate evolution. It's going to feed off the idea that humans only use 10% of their brain and they are only now starting to learn how to use more, which will then in turn be the downfall of the new zombie species.

By the way, the only characteristics of these things that make me call them zombies are the facts that most of their bodily organs are un-functional, and they can transform humans into like beings. They are actually of parasite origin and I'm only using the term zombie as a placeholder for a future name that I have yet to come up with. And the tentative name for this book is Ultimate Evolution.

16. s.knight

s.knight Banned

Ok. Before you get carried away, do some research. Make sure youre not holding misnomers as truths.
    Go read stories and essays that have already explored the ideas you are thinking of.

For instance: man makes a better version of man thru tech. That better version soon becomes competition, eventually dominating the planet like we do now. Perhaps the old human race is on the verge of extinction.

17. black-radish

black-radish New Member

Haha I can see the Huxley here. :D

Joey,

there's not much I can add, I agree of dropping the term 'zombie' as before, creating an entire new entity or new human species is good!
    I like your enthousiasm! It's great to see how people can be so creative and happy with their own things!
    Looking forward in hearing more about this!

Happy writing! Don't make it too scary or I wont ready it!! :p (joke)
    ~ Lola

18. JoeyMystery

JoeyMystery New Member

Ugh. Due to some pitfalls in the science of the plot, I'm putting this project on the back shelf and writing something new until it comes to me. More than likely a fantasy because I am greatly inspired by Brandon Sandersons work at the moment. Thanks for all the help guys. You might see more to this story eventually, but for now it's ca-poot.

19. black-radish

black-radish New Member

Too bad you couldn't work out the plot :(

Ah well, starting something new doesn't have to be bad! Good luck with the new one :D And more importantly: have fun :D

~ Lola