1. samdero

samdero New Member

Advice: too cliche?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by samdero, Jul 31, 2015.

So, this is my first time posting on this forum. And I'd really like some advice.
    Since I was in a young teenager, I've had this idea for a modern supernatural mystery novel. Its one of the few stories I've been able to stick to. My worry is that it is just much too cliche. The essential idea of the story is a stereotypical rich socialite girl who becomes cursed with werewolf-ism and has her world turned upside-down. Since there's Twilight, and Teen Wolf and so many more, I worry the idea is too worn out for anyone to take interest.
    The story continues with her coping with her curse with the help of a secret pack hiding within her community while trying to find the cult that turned her and stop them. I also have ideas to make this into a multiple book series. I really love this story, actually. Its evolved so much since the first idea and I just can't move away from it.
    Please, no bashing? I've only recently become comfortable sharing my writing with people...

2. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

First off, there's nothing wrong with being cliché. I'm the biggest cliché going. I recently found that my inhibitions are so high when it comes to writing that I have to go through sporadic bouts of alcoholism to actually write anything worth sending to my agent. I also wear sunglasses indoors.

Secondly, I really don't know anything about werewolves, vampires, or... other beasty-type-things. I've never seen Twilight, Teen Wolf, or anything else along those lines. But there is an enormous audience for that type of thing. I'd recommend that you just go with it, and write it.

Finally, write for yourself. While I hate this piece of advice, which all new authors seem to use intrinsically for whatever reason, I think it applies to you. Don't worry that the idea has been done before, don't worry that people won't like it, just write it. Because when you begin to worry about your reader (again, horrible advice but in your case it is the best advice to give) you write a convoluted novel which isn't what you want it to be. If you want to write about werewolves, then go for it! You've always got to remember that there's someone as weird as yourself who wants to read your work (which I have to remind myself constantly). Just make sure you don't abandon your reader, because they're the ones who are going to be buying your book.

Urban Profanity likes this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't mind cliché ideas. That's essentially what genre is all about. Familiar format. And I have boxes of horror and boxes of gothic romances. So I'm not anti-genre. The only thing that annoys me is when the details become cliché, that's when I feel like tossing the book.

4. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

Very true, when reading I have my favourite genres, as I'm sure everyone does, but when writing, I find that genres are pretty limiting. I write literary fiction but spun with romance, action, and even humour. Rather than picking a genre and writing, I write and see which genre, or genres, for that matter, it falls into.

5. Colactix

Colactix Member

I don't think any ideas themselves are cliché, there are very little original ideas left. It's what you do with them. The characters, the dialogue, how they act, the narration. I also don't think it's overly necessary to bundle a book into a singular genre. Also like someone else said, don't write for the book to fit into one place, or one audience. Write it how you want to write it, if it's good, regardless of genre clichés, and themes. I'm sure people will like it.

As long as you love it, keep doing it. People will see that in your writing and love it also.

Scrib likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The advice I take most to heart, when it comes to this kind of question is simple: Write what you would want to read yourself.

You can't go wrong. If you want to read a certain kind of story, chances are others will too. And if you're writing what you would like to read yourself, you will be caught up in the story, enthusiastic about it and emotionally involved with it. And with any luck this enthusiasm will transfer itself to your readers. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a currently popular genre. Just do what you can to make your story stand out.

The one thing that worries me a BIT about your post is that I hope you're writing in a genre you like to READ, not just watch on TV. There is an art to drawing people into a story with words, rather than moving pictures and actors speaking lines. The art of storytelling in a book is very different to the art of storytelling on screen. So be sure you read. A lot. And maybe turn off the TV?

Link the Writer likes this.
  7. PrincessSofia

PrincessSofia Active Member

I'd love to read a novel like that :) ! I think you should go for it, many people like stories like that, and even if they didn't, just write something you'd like to read :) ( such a corny advice hahaa but I think it's true)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'd read it. Supernatural? Mystery novel? The girl becomes a werewolf? Sounds interesting. And fun!

You love this story, and it's one of the few stories that stuck with you. Well, I believe that indicates you should go ahead and write it. :)

(off-topic)
    If someone bashes your story, let a mod know about it. Constructive criticism is good, but pure bashing? Frowned upon harder than a werewolf's frown. Let 'em know and they'll deal with it.

jannert likes this.
  9. LolCasanova

LolCasanova New Member

Go for it! Every idea out there has been considered by somebody but the beauty of it is we're all different, we all get inspiration from different places and we all develop stories differently. You could start writing your story and end up twisting it this way and that without even intending to!
    I have the same worries as you, I fear my work may border on cliche sometimes, I think it's a common fear. But don't let it hold you back. Start writing it and I've no doubt you'll be pleasantly surprised :).

10. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

So what if something similar has been done. Write what you want to write, and no doubt there is a large audience who like that genre. I'm sure your own spin and take on things will make the story different enough, where you shouldn't worry about the similarities. Also its not worn out, werewolves are still "in". Good luck, and don't worry about things like that, write what you want to.

11. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

To be honest, sometimes when I look for a new book I really want something new. I have an itch to read something like Dragon Lance or The Dark Elf Trilogy but I don't feel like reading them right now. I'm hoping I can find something JUST LIKE THAT but new. I don't know why it matters to me. Maybe I think that by reading it I'm making a fresh connection.

Sometimes people just like what they like and don't get tired of it.

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Someone in another forum told me this, "You'd be surprised at how much writing you can accomplish when you quit over-thinking things." So...quit over-thinking and write it. :D

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My main issue is the "rich socialite". Buffy--for example--essentially started out as a rich socialite in the movie, but in the series she was economically struggling middle class, and socially near the bottom of the ladder at school. I think that you'll have to struggle harder to make "rich socialite" interesting.

14. VioletKnight

VioletKnight New Member

Twilight is about a teenage girl with the personality of a wet toast falling in love with a sparkly bloodsucking golem who stalks her, and Teen Wolf is a comedy about a teenager who inherited lycanthropy through his father and uses his abilities to do good in sports.

Your story doesn't sound similar to those.