1. roshinerinn1977

roshinerinn1977 Banned

Help! Writer losing her mind...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by roshinerinn1977, May 12, 2008.

Okay, here is my problem. Does anyone have any advice on anything to do for writer's block? I get started on something, get about 1/4 of the way thru and begin to have self doubt telling me that it is the most awful waste of space ever written. Then I get blocked and can't go any farther. The other side of the coin is when I sit down, look at a blank piece of paper and can't think of a thing to write. Then I am totally screwed.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, y'all.
    Blessed Be,
    Missie

2. Kaij

Kaij Senior Member

To me, there's no such thing as writer's block. If you can write a single sentence in a day, then you don't have it. Heck, whatever you write doesn't even have to make sense, it can be a personal vent on anything you want, it doesn't have to deal with a story.

If I don't have the motivation to write anything in my current novel, then I usually start reading a book or moving on to writing something else. You can't force something out if it doesn't want to come. Jot down random ideas for other writings that might be fun to write about. Post in your blog. Read another person's story and comment. In time, the blockade will crumble and you'll find you'll be able to focus a bit more on the writing you want to continue.

That's, of course, my own opinion.

3. Ehdom

Ehdom New Member

Write as often as you can. If you find yourself unable to write the material you want to be writing, a novel you're working on, for example, then write something else. Do a random scene. Free write. Do a journal entry. Describe the room you're in. Anything.

The key is just to write something. You'll be surprised how often you could be writing about something as mundane as a hole you suddenly notice in your wall and how it will bridge to something to unblock what you need to be writing on.

There are a lot of thoughts flowing in us that we don't realize until we put the pen down to write.

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Whenever I have writer's block, I end the story. I just tack on an ending no matter how ill fitting it appears. Simply finishing a story is, in and of itself, a powerful thing. I the leave the story alone and persue someother work. I let my subconscious mull it over. Then, after a bit of time - and when I feel ready - I return to it and deal with all the plot holes caused by the sudden ending.

5. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Contributing Member Contributor

In the arms of the man I love at home in NC.
    Missie...you know I can relate to you. This is what a published writing friend told me several years ago....Pick a time of the day when you have the least interruptions, and just start writing...Whatever comes out, it doesn't matter, it doesn't even have to make sense or have a purpose, just as long as you're writing. The only catch..you can't pick up the pen, once you start you have to finish the page your writing on.

This technique works wonders for me...now every morning I write my Morning Pages...it really is a help. I have found it to be quite therapeutic as well!..;)

6. thelastblueberry

thelastblueberry New Member

In my imagination. Not always a good thing...
    I've found that when I get writer's block I just try not to think about it or stress too much. That just makes it worse. Writer's block is so unpredictable and there's no one right way to fix it. You just have to try a lot of different things and see where your inspiritation comes from. Freewriting is always really helpful. Also, just going out for a walk or seeing movie, or hanging out with friends can work too. Sometimes you'll just hear one word or see an image that will click in your mind and open up everything. :)

7. roshinerinn1977

roshinerinn1977 Banned

thanx for the replies. It helped a lot.
    Blessed Be,
    Missie

8. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

I have found that walking my dog (just walking works to) while listening to my i-pod (songs that have lyrics that relate to themes in the story work best) works very well. In fact the only times i've ever made large developments in my story is this way.

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

I always keep multiple projects going on- that way, if the muse leaves me on one story, I can usually find it hovering over the other. After a period of skipping back and forth between the stories, I find that things get done eventually.

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

Missie,

I believe Rumpole and blueberry (and a few others) hit on a very important point. Put "the pen down"! You don't have to be typing or using a stylus to be "writing". Ultimately, all GOOD writing derives from inspiration which pours out from the subliminal mind at its own whim. Even if you are sleeping, your mind continues to experiment with plot twists or character traits. The real trick here is to "capture" those moments of inspiration and transfer them to your assigned writing times. Carry a notebook or, as I do, a mini cassette recorder for those "Ah ha!" moments. You'll find that when you review your notes or play back that tape recorder, the magic of the subliminal excitement rekindles your inspiration...and writing comes naturally.

For those who say, "just keep writing", I counter that forced writing does not work for all people, nor does it usually generate inspired results. It even makes me depressed. By the same token, my personal "subliminal tap" method of developing a story works for me....but may not work for you.

Just a thought.

.....NaCl